× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xbox Speeds slow.. Help!

92jthomas
Guide

Xbox Speeds slow.. Help!

I have tried researching so long on this and I really don't want to pay this 60 bucks to talk to the netgear support. But I have this XR500, it has been absolutely amazing in every way. I just bought a house and set up DSL right away at the highest speeds available being 30mbps. Now this morning I just got it converted to fiber with a download speed of 1 gbps. I check the speed through the router app and it shows 986mbps which is perfect. I checked my phone via speedtest and it shows 350mbps which I am connected to the 40hz 5g so a little confused but whatever. But now on my Xbox's, I have two Xbox One's one for me and one for the lady. Both downloads at 27mbps.... i tried restarting the router. The firmware is up to date. I made sure to try the seperated 5g and 2.4g versus the dual band smart wifi option. Rebooted the xbox's. I checked the setting on the nighthawk and it is set for every device to be equal on the chart. I have 2 xbox's, 2 smartphones, a NVR and 2 Amazon Echo's... All of which don't use anything at all barely considering the usage chart in the nighthawk app. I am all wirless except the NVR. I know, I will soon be running my cat6 through the attic and to the xbox's but I only have wireless available at this moment.. Please help! This is my first Nighthawk and I really want to make this work. Thank you.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 19
plemans
Guru

You won't hit gigabit speeds over wireless. The 350mbps that you're reporting hitting on your phone is about what you should expect. (roughly).

are you on the 5ghz for the xboxes? 

Another thing is that the xbox speedtest feature isn't that accurate. I'd make sure you're on the 5ghz and then test using phone/tablets to see what speeds your at using speedtest.com (try changing servers on the speedtest site as well)

that'll give you the best results. 

Message 2 of 19
92jthomas
Guide

Thank you for your reply and yes both Xbox's are connected to the 5ghz. I even tried connecting them to the 2.4ghz to see the difference. Yea I thought I should expect around 350mbps via wireless. But 27mbps? That can't be normal and it is throwing me off even more considering it is only on the Xbox's. I have had the Xbox's do the speedtest in the settings and I have tried downloading something to see the download speed there too equaling the 27mbps average.
Message 3 of 19
plemans
Guru

is it causing problems with gaming? 

Have you checked in the xr500 what the qos settings are set to? 

Message 4 of 19
92jthomas
Guide

It is causing problems gaming. But more so on downloading updates and new games on the xbox's. The Qos settings are disabled. I also just factory resetted the XR500 last week so most settings are still default.
Message 5 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Gaming uses very little bandwidth so as long as you've got at least 1Mbps upload then it won't be causing you issues when gaming. The issues in gaming is mostly coming from the fact that you're using WiFi & 5GHz which isn't as stable as 2.4GHz over long distances through multiple walls/ceilings etc. What download speed are you getting when trying a download on the console? - Could you take a screenshot of this please?
Message 6 of 19
92jthomas
Guide

I have tried gaming over 2.4ghz and experience the same issues. Primarily when playing with mass players on games. The download speed is 27mbps on the console and this is done through the settings on either Xbox. The download speed is on average 26mbps when downloading a game on either Xbox.
Message 7 of 19
plemans
Guru

have you tried manually setting your qos speed settings? 

I'd also look at this guide: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/Ultimate-Speed-Guide-for-XR-Routers/m-...

Message 8 of 19
92jthomas
Guide

I have not, I will try that as soon as I get home work today. Thank you
Message 9 of 19
92jthomas
Guide

Thank you so much! Following that guide in the link you sent allowed my speeds to go way up. The guide didn't explain anything on setting the specific download and upload buffer amount. But as soon as I set the amounts to 1000mbps (which was the highest setting it would allow me) my xbox speeds are now averaging 200mbps. I feel that it should still be higher considering my phone is getting 420mbps now. I reset everything and followed the guide step by step and here is where I'm at now.
Message 10 of 19
plemans
Guru

You have the xbox one? 

It didn't have the greatest wireless card in it if I recall. You might be at what that card is rated to for speed. 

Message 11 of 19
92jthomas
Guide

Yes, it is the Xbox OneX. The wireless card in the OneX is that bad?
Message 12 of 19
plemans
Guru

speeds vary depending on the server used for the game your testing on. 

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-download-speeds

Message 13 of 19
92jthomas
Guide

I assumed the same thing, just that I had did multiple speed tests and the average I got was what I provided earlier. I assume the server wouldn't be the same everytime. But still that it shouldn't bring it down that much though right? My brother lives in the same city as me with the same ISP just in the county more so and gets much higher speeds.
Message 14 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Make sure you disable the Geo-Filter when doing the speedtests as it may be blocked a server that allows you to get those higher speeds.
Message 15 of 19
92jthomas
Guide

Okay, I will try that. Thanks everyone so much for the help.
Message 16 of 19
92jthomas
Guide

I checked and my GeoFilter is actually already turned off or I have no devices added to it.
Message 17 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try this, add your console to Traffic Prioritization with a manual rule:
Source 1 - 65535
Destination 1 - 65535
TCP/UDP
This will prioritize your console completely, this is not a good idea usually but if you do that then it will give you a good idea of what speed it is possible to get.
Message 18 of 19
92jthomas
Guide

Okay, I will try that tonight. Thank you! I feel so dumb considering I got this router and I am having to learn this way to get it set up correctly. I used to build pc's and program too. Thanks again!
Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7