× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 not playing nice with new Samsung Galaxy S10

blackhawkpr
Tutor

RAX120 not playing nice with new Samsung Galaxy S10

Just received the phone and it simply won't connect to the network unless I set a static IP on the phone. When it manages to connect with the static IP, speeds are abysmal at 100 mbit or under (link speed, not speed test). When trying to connect normally, the phone gives an error saying that it failed to obtain an IP.

I've double checked the credentials, tried 2.4 and 5ghz bands, tried WPA3 to no avail. I'll try now disabling AX but then what's the point of having both devices. Everything else in the network connects just fine. Phone and router are on the latest firmware.

Any ideas to troubleshoot?

Model: RAX120| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
davecar
Tutor

Re: RAX120 not playing nice with new Samsung Galaxy S10

That is correct, AX is enabled and working with S10 plus.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 27

All Replies
blackhawkpr
Tutor

Disabling AX fixes everything, except now it's just a glorified AC router.

Message 2 of 27
schumaku
Guru

Tha'ts the fun when going (b)leading edge technology - some interoperability issues are easily predictable. Here it's Wi-Fi 6 (not WPA3 and I understand you had disabled WPA3 already for a test).. Could be a problem on both ends. Netgear has to investigate, not much we can do as end users (even if highly tech minded - most of us don't have access to Wi-Fi 6 capable wireless analyzers). File a support ticket if you are within the full support time of your AX12.

Message 3 of 27
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi blackhawkpr, 

Thank you for your post. I'd like our support team to look into this and they made need to contact with you for further information. If you wish to be contacted, please send me a message with your contact information and I can forward it to the team. 

~Christian 

Message 4 of 27
blackhawkpr
Tutor

PM sent
Message 5 of 27
Jazzygecko
Tutor

I'm having the exact same issues with my new Samsung S10+ and the RAX120. Disabling AX mode does seem to fix it for now.  

Message 6 of 27
schumaku
Guru

For my records of the non-educated old man here - the S10+ is Wi-Fi 6 (and WPA3) capable or one of the S10 models which isn't?

Brilliant - exatly the same workaround as the AX8 owners have to do since the product is released in the field around early December 2018 - and not any sign of a "we are sorry" and "we are going to address these issues ASAP". @ChristineT @Christian_R  ... 

Message 7 of 27
Jazzygecko
Tutor

The S10+ is Wi-Fi 6 compatible.  From the tech site about the phones :  All three new phones, the S10, S10 Plus, and S10E, include support for Wi-Fi 6 as well as 2 gigabit LTE speeds, up from 1.2 gigabits last year.

Message 8 of 27
Juan31
Aspirant

How can I disable the ax on the router?
Message 9 of 27
blackhawkpr
Tutor

In the router's settings page, under WiFi, AX is one of the top options.
Message 10 of 27
schumaku
Guru

Thank you @Jazzygecko - I was confused by the fact that the initial S10, and S10+ don't come woth 5G support and the fact different SoC are in place for different markets. Indeed all the S10,  S10+ and S10E come with the same AX capable Boradcom WiFi.

Message 11 of 27
davecar
Tutor

I was having the exact same issue and I fixed it. After working with tech support for almost 2 hours it couldn't be resolved so they sent me a new router. It had the same issue right out of the box, so I just went back and did some troubleshooting myself with the older one. There is a new firmware out 1.0.0.84 which allows you to select a "DFS" channel under the 5Ghz advance settings. Once I did that it all worked!

Message 12 of 27
Redtulips7
Luminary

@Jazzygecko wrote:

I'm having the exact same issues with my new Samsung S10+ and the RAX120. Disabling AX mode does seem to fix it for now.  

Didn't have problem with Note 9

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 13 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@Redtulips7 wrote:

@Jazzygecko wrote:

The point here is that the Samsung S10, S10+, S10E (and the likes) are WiFi 6 (802.11ax) capable clients - bummer eh?

Message 14 of 27
Redtulips7
Luminary

@schumaku wrote:

@Redtulips7 wrote:

@Jazzygecko wrote:

The point here is that the Samsung S10, S10+, S10E (and the likes) are WiFi 6 (802.11ax) capable clients - bummer eh?

I am aware of S10 Series are AX capable!!! Sometimes changing Chanel solve that kind of issue or needs FW updates or software updates for S10

Message 15 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@davecar wrote:

There is a new firmware out 1.0.0.84 which allows you to select a "DFS" channel under the 5Ghz advance settings. Once I did that it all worked!

Up to now, the workaround for these AX clients was to disable the AX mode on the router (making it an expensive AC device). Can you confirm this is no longer required, and you didn't had to disable AX on the replacement device? This would be some good progress for the interoperability!

Message 16 of 27
blackhawkpr
Tutor

I can confirm that the latest firmware (1.0.0.84) works fine with my S10+ without having to turn off the AX feature on the router.

Message 17 of 27
davecar
Tutor

That is correct, AX is enabled and working with S10 plus.
Message 18 of 27
davecar
Tutor

You can now also select 160H and works fine on any channel.
Message 19 of 27
schumaku
Guru

Excellent news, thank you @davecar for the updates!

Message 20 of 27
computim
Luminary

@netgear... And for that reason i'm sending back the AX120 router.  Tired of spending countless hours on providing feedback and research for a company that could careless of the communities tireless efforts to make their product better.  Only to be met with ridiculous excuses and no insights to what they already know or don't know to resolve any issue.  The one clear piece is that Netgear has gotten more and more greedy as the products used to be sent out for beta testing.  Now.. They have you pay to provide beta testing and people, including myself were willing to do so in order to advance the products.  Netgear get off your duffs and engage with the community as a whole before its gone and you loose the most valuable piece you have.   Off my soap box.  My apologies if you take this any other way other than to be push for more engagement.. 

Message 21 of 27
Redtulips7
Luminary

@computim wrote:

@netgear... And for that reason i'm sending back the AX120 router.  Tired of spending countless hours on providing feedback and research for a company that could careless of the communities tireless efforts to make their product better.  Only to be met with ridiculous excuses and no insights to what they already know or don't know to resolve any issue.  The one clear piece is that Netgear has gotten more and more greedy as the products used to be sent out for beta testing.  Now.. They have you pay to provide beta testing and people, including myself were willing to do so in order to advance the products.  Netgear get off your duffs and engage with the community as a whole before its gone and you loose the most valuable piece you have.   Off my soap box.  My apologies if you take this any other way other than to be push for more engagement.. 

I am agreed 100%

Message 22 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@blackhawkpr give a try to enable AX again after updating the RAX120 to 1.0.0.84 and access with your Sammy S10 - you migth want to mark the above post by @davecar  as a solution then.

Message 23 of 27
ndanger69
Tutor

I am running firmware revision 1.0.1.56_1.0.23 on my RAX80 and I am still having the issue even with AX turned off.

Any thoughts

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 24 of 27
davecar
Tutor

Don't know since I don't have that modem, but if you can change to 160H or a DFS channel if it is available.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7