Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC2300 Intermittent 5ghz dropping

AC2300 Intermittent 5ghz dropping

I recently upgraded to the R7000P, AC2300 Nighthawk. Bought brand new on 12/9/2020, however since then, it continually drops the 5ghz bandwidth at least once daily. On the my fire tv devices there is a message of "Authinticate Error" on all other devices, it just wil not connect. Until I unplug it and restart it. I have MetroNet as a provider for fiberoptic and they are not aware of any issues on their side with this router. Called Netgear tech support twice, and so far attempted below with still no resolution:

Firmware, comes back no new updates, currently running V1.3.1.64_10.1.36

Change the channel to 161 

Changed the preamble from long term to short term

Factory reset and started fresh

To date nothing worked, Netgear support has stated to take the router back and get another one. Which i have no issue with doing, but after reviewing all the articles in the knowledge base, the most recent saying this is a comon issue, and no solutions posted. I fear getting the same router will render the same problem. My hope is someone in the community will have a possible solution? Or Should I just trade this in for a different model Netgear? Or possibly look at other brands?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: AC2300 Intermittent 5ghz dropping

What modem is it connected to? 

There's also a newer firmware version 1.3.2.126.

try installing that and trying it. 

If it doesn't help, I'd actually downgrade to version 1.3.0.20.

any firmware changes should be done over a hardwired connection. I'd also advise factory resetting/manually reinstall with any firmware changes on the r7000P

Message 2 of 14

I am currently using a "Alcatel-Lucent" fiber optic modem, it was supplied by my internet service provider. Being i just got my replacement router yesterday,  going to hardwire and update the firmware manually as you suggested. Then give it about 24 hours to see if the connection holds or still drops. If that does not work, i will try version 1.3.0.20. I do have a couple of quetions about manually updating the firmware

1. After updating the firmware, i assume i would need to disable the auto-update feature?

2. You suggested to factory reset/manually reinstall with any firmware changes, does this mean i would factory reset after the updating it or factory reset the do the update before anything starts connecting? 

3. If i do end up downgrading the firmware, would I do the facotry reset and then immediately change the version to the 1.3.0.20?

Sorry for all the questions, but i really like the router and want to keep it, and thank you for taking the time to assist! 

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

Which fibre modem is it specifically? Some have integrated router functions. 

1. If you're updating the firmware, you can leave auto-update enabled. Only disable it if you're downgrading the firmware. this is to prevent it from just updating back to a more current version. 

2&3.  Reset after updating or downgrading the firmware. sometimes old settings can get carried over and cause issues. Thats why after you change firmwares a factory reset with a clean install (not from backup) can help. 

Message 4 of 14

The modem is a Intertek G-010G-A by Alcatel-Lucent, it is from "MetroNet", my ISP.

So I have updated the firmware to 1.3.2.126 and my my devices reconnected, so now about to do the factory reset. When you say a clean install, I have no backups to install from, but have been using the same SSID as previous. Will this need to be changed and will I need to update the firmware again after the reset before any devices are allowed to connect? 

I know Im' wearing you out, again i do apologize 

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

You can re-use the same ssid so you're devices will auto reconnect. 

If you don't have any backups, then just factory reset. 

You can either doing it throught the settings or through a hard reset. 

Here's how to do it through the settings: 

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and to do a hard reset

push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. 

Message 6 of 14

Good Morning....I followed your suggestion and completed the factory reset after the firmware upgrade last night around 10:30pm. As of right now my devices continue to stay connected, (fingers crossed). So hopefully this has resolved the issue. I will continue to monitor the devices throughout the day and go from there. Thank you again so much for your help, I will post later, it is still working or not.

Message 7 of 14

Hello Sir, well i believe i spoke to soon. It held it's connection for right at 36hrs, but then dropped again overnight. I have re-booted both the router and the modem, now going to see if it holds or if it drops it again, going to try the downgrade firmware. Unles you have another suggestion. Just one question, If I downgrade it, i will need to install the firmware, then disable the auto update before the factory reset? 

Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

Maybe your device is one that doesn't play nicely with netgear armor. 

Try installing version 1.3.0.20 of the firmware. Again, do it over a hardwired connection, factory reset afterwards, and clean install (not from backup). Try that version.(also disable auto-updates)  Some had issues with armor and yours could be one. 

Message 9 of 14

I had not thought of that, but it the netgear armour has be activated throughout this saga. I will deactivate it and downgrade the firmware and disable the auto update. Then factory reset and immediately disable the netgear armour and see how that works.

Message 10 of 14
plemans
Guru

the downgrade removes armor. you won't need to deactivate it. 

Message 11 of 14

Sorry for the delay in responding, been a holiday hostage to the kids...LOL...but since we previously talked, the original upgrade to 1.3.2.126 only worked for about 24-28 hours, then the 5ghz started dropping again. So just a few minutes ago, i went down to the 1.3.0.20 firmware, everything seems to have conntected just fine. I disabled the auto update for firmware, then went down to the 1.3.0.20 version, unplugged the router from the modem and re-booted the modem, then finally factory reset the router. It came up just fine, held the firmware just installed, then went back and disabled the firmware update again. So now we wait, and go from there. 

Message 12 of 14

We are currently at 96+ hours and the connection is holding. I believe the downgrade made the difference. Thank you again so much for your help!

Message 13 of 14
plemans
Guru

glad it works!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements