Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC3200 TriBand router issue

JohnS13827
Aspirant

AC3200 TriBand router issue

First, I don't know much at all about routers or networking, so if I'm using the wrong terminology, I apologize. I'll do my best to explain my issue.

I'm trying to use 3 PS4s on the same wifi network, but they all get the same IP assigned to them. All 3 game systems have different IPs on the systems, but when I check the IP online, they're all the same, and different than the one on the system itself.

For example, one of the system shows 192.168.0.5, but when I check the IP online, it's completely different.

We can't play the same game at the same time due to the IPs being the same. Is there a way to fix this? I know people who play together on the same network with no issues, but they've been no help.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get. 🙂
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: AC3200 TriBand router issue

Message 7 of 8

All Replies

@JohnS13827 wrote:

For example, one of the system shows 192.168.0.5, but when I check the IP online, it's completely different.

That address is the one on your local network.

The online IP address is the one allocated to you by your Internet service provider for your internet service. You'll only get one.

Huge organisations manage to survive on one IP address. I doubt if that is the cause of your problems.

Message 2 of 8
TheEther
Guru

JohnS13827, the situation you are in is literally NAT (Network Address Translation).

Getting multiple gaming consoles on the same home network to work can be a challenge. Port forwarding is usually required. If you know the ports to forward (you can usually find them online), then you can set them up manually. Alternatively, turn UPnP on in the router. UPnP is basically automatic port forwarding (i.e. the consoles communicate with the router to open the required ports). You may also have heard of DMZ, but that won't work with multiple consoles.

In addition, each game must be specifically designed to work with multiple consoles on the same network. A well designed game will run over a range of ports. A poorly designed game will simply not work.
Message 3 of 8
JohnS13827
Aspirant

The game we have the issue with is GTA 5. We never had an issue before, but that was with different equipment, almost 2 years ago.

I've done port triggering and am aware of DMZ, but after triggering all the suggested ports, manually assigning IPs to each system, changing the DNS, MTU, etc... , the issue remains. I've spoken with my ISP, Rockstar, Sony, and Netgear, and no one has come up with a solution. They pretty much just pass it off to someone else, and my ISP won't assist with anything to do with my router, because it's not their equipment.

Any idea how to change my NAT? We always get NAT 2, and was told NAT 1 was what we needed.
Message 4 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi JohnS13827,

If only one PS4 is connected, will it work? 

If you connect the PS4 directly to the modem, will it shows NAT type 1?

Message 5 of 8
JohnS13827
Aspirant

1 works better than 2 or 3, but we still get network errors and sent to empty lobbies in the game. Sometimes it happens quickly (within 5 minutes), sometimes it takes a little longer.

I'd try running ethernet to one of the systems, but the modem is 40 feet away. I do have a laptop, though. Would that help?
Message 6 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi JohnS13827,

Change the NAT filtering to Open.

https://kb.netgear.com/24085/How-do-I-view-the-WAN-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 7 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi JohnS13827,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series