Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

After installing new Nighthawk WiFi Router(R6900P) speed dropped to 10/100 mb out of switch from 1 G

miketagg54
Tutor

After installing new Nighthawk WiFi Router(R6900P) speed dropped to 10/100 mb out of switch from 1 G

After replacing and installing the new router I noticed that my speed dropped significantly on my eithernet coming from the new router.  I njormally have close to a gig of download and upload speed since I have fitber optic 1 GB1GB service.  My internet service coming into the router was tested and is at 1GB,  The Wifi signal emitted is also well above 100 MB.  I also tested the ether net ports and I found that the input from the router into a switch is good, but coming out of the switch that goes into a switch it drops in speed way down.  The indicator at the output from the router also is lit amber and if I move it to another port off the router the indicator of the port the output cable is moved to follows.  If I connect another ethernet to the router output and go directly into my PC the light turns white and the speed is back up to 1 GB.   So could this be the switch causing the issue?  The swithc is an 8 port unmanaged switch with currently 4 outputs and all 4 outputs from the switch speed have been degraded to less than 100 MB.   My main concern is that the router does show the 10/100 MB amber indicator so want to ensure it is not the new router and I may need to buy a new switch.  The current switch is 2 yrs old and have never had an issue with speed coming through it until now.  

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: After installing new Nighthawk WiFi Router(R6900P) speed dropped to 10/100 mb out of switch from

Would be yoru switch. If it's not connecting or supporting of 1000Mpbs, then you'll never see anything over 100Mpbs wired. 

What brand and model is this switch? 

Be sure your LAN cables are of good quality as well. CAT6 is recommended. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: After installing new Nighthawk WiFi Router(R6900P) speed dropped to 10/100 mb out of switch from

Would be yoru switch. If it's not connecting or supporting of 1000Mpbs, then you'll never see anything over 100Mpbs wired. 

What brand and model is this switch? 

Be sure your LAN cables are of good quality as well. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 9
miketagg54
Tutor

It is a TP-Link TL-SG108 | 8 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Network Switch.  It worked fine with my old router and all the outputs from the switch were well over the 100 MB that is coming out now.  I also have another small 4 port TP-Link switch and the outputs from that swit56ch are all acceptable.  I verified all my cables were tested and all do not seem to have an issue.  So agree it must be the switch has gone bad since it is unmanaged without any settings to adjust or test.   Thanks for your input.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend NG GS-105/108v4 and GS308v3.

Good Luck.

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

@miketagg54 wrote:

I verified all my cables were tested and all do not seem to have an issue.  So agree it must be the switch has gone bad since it is unmanaged without any settings to adjust or test.   Thanks for your input.

I'd still try swapping cables around. I've seen the end on cables test fine on a tester but not work properly when connected to a device. 

If even 1 pin doesn't connect well enough, it can drop it from gigabit to 10/100mbps. 

Message 5 of 9
miketagg54
Tutor

I did but am going to try one more thing; bypass the switch altogether using an rj45 coupler to see if that raises speed.  If it does, then has to be the switch.  Thanks.

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

Hope it works for you!

I've seen more cheap/crappy cables cause issues latey than I have bad switches. 

Not sure if you can go port to port with that switch to test the cable.

It does have led's on the switch (depending on version) that display if its linking at 10/100 or gigabit speeds. green is gigabit and yellow is 10/100.

Might try swapping ports around on it and cables just to check. Maybe a single port is the issue. I've seen pins bent as well. 

Message 7 of 9
miketagg54
Tutor

Well after all kinds of easter egging it I found a break in the internet cable so repaired that, then had to re-terminate a few cables that must have been broken from all the plugfging and unplugging.  So needless to say  I am back up to close to 1 GB speed inpout and output on all but 1 PC which for some reason has a slower upload speed but still close to 200 MB so won't worry aboput that for now.   Thanks for your help...

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7