Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000V2 getting slow wireless speed

vdm1245
Follower

C7000V2 getting slow wireless speed

I recently upgraded my comcast/xfinity service plan from 200mbps to 600mbps.

When I was at 200mbps I would speed test wireless on my Note20 Ultra 5G at 240+ mbps.

With my plan now at 600 mbps I am testing wireless on my Note 20 at 270 mbps.

Im not sure why im not seeing a more substantial wireless increase over the previous plan of 200 mbps.

My friends house pays for 400 mbps plan from Comcast and I speed test wireless with my Note20 at @ 390+ mbps. They're using the Comcast modem and have several wireless devices connected.

I've tested my incoming speed wired to my Dell laptop and confirmed at 600+ mbps. So thats not the issue.

Ive rebooted the router and my cell phone, and blocked all other connected devices (except my wired laptop and wireless cell phone).

Ive contacted Netgear support and of course my service agreement expired last month 😕

Ive contacted Comcast and they're sending out a tech in 2 days but I dont want them to just try and upsell me on their modem.

Im guessing there has to be some sort of configuration or setup that isnt correct but in all the settings I have no idea what I should be looking at/for.
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: C7000V2 getting slow wireless speed

Problem isn't the c7000 or the phone. 

the problem is misunderstanding of the wireless modem/router that you have. 

The C7000 is an AC1900 modem/router combo device. Because its a combo devices, its not going to have the same performance as a standard AC1900 router as some of its power and cpu process is needed for the modem side. It was released in 2015 and is a docsis 3.0 device.  

Comcasts new modem (XB7) is an AX router (which the note 20 ultra supports). so its a generation newer on wireless standards as well as its going to have a faster processor than an older generation modem/router combo device. 5 years in cpu and wireless standards/performance makes a significant difference.

A fair comparision for comcasts new modem/router (XB7) device is the CAX80.

The speed that you're getting from the C7000 is about the max that you can expect from that modem/router.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7