Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000 + Nighthawk R8000 - Very Slow Speeds on Xfinity Gigabit

Chrisenvoy
Aspirant

CM1000 + Nighthawk R8000 - Very Slow Speeds on Xfinity Gigabit

Hey Everyone,

I am hoping that someone might be able to help me. I have a CM1000 and a Nighthawk R8000 (AC2300) and Xfinity's gigabit service. I have had these + the service for 2 years and never had an issue until about 5-6 weeks ago. I noticed that I would get between 250-450 Megs download on direct wired and between 100-250 Megs download on wifi. 

I have one PC hooked up via ethernet cable to the Nighthawk Router and throughout the day the internet randomly drop for 5-30 seconds. This happens a few times in a row over a few minute span and then won't happen again for hours.

I have tried troubleshooting with Xfinity (over 8 hours on the phone in the last couple of weeks), and even tried calling NetGear, but I was told that they would not help me without buying one of their service plans. I'm honestly not sure what to do. I have tried factory resetting botht he CM1000 and the Nighthawk R8000. I even purchased a new CM1000, had it set up with Xfinity, and had the same slower speeds.

It got to a point where I asked comcast to send me one of the new xFi modem/router combo units and the direct connected speeds were at the 960+. I don't understand why my router and modem no longer can get these speeds. They are maybe 2 years old only.

The current firmware that it says I have is: V1.0.4.45+10.1.63

Does anyone have any idea of what I can do, or try, to get my speeds back? Please let me know. I would be eternally grateful!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Chrisenvoy
Aspirant

Re: CM1000 + Nighthawk R8000 - Very Slow Speeds on Xfinity Gigabit

Hey Everyone,

I tested everything and a factory reset of the R8000 did it. When I update the firmware the speeds become abysmal but with a factory reset (and not auto updated firmware) everything is getting the proper speeds!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

So the goal is to first get full speed at the modem. then we worry about the router. The cm1000 should pull gigabit from comcast.

So go modem-----pc for testing.

Also, log into the modem and take a screen snip of the cable connections page as well as the logs. this shows us the connectiong back to the isp so see if there's issues.

What speeds do you get directly connected to the modem? 

what website are you using? I'd try different ones. Try fast.com  speedtest.xifnity.com  dslreports.com

What pc are you using?

Message 2 of 3
Chrisenvoy
Aspirant

Hey Everyone,

I tested everything and a factory reset of the R8000 did it. When I update the firmware the speeds become abysmal but with a factory reset (and not auto updated firmware) everything is getting the proper speeds!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7