Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Download speed 2.4 vs 5.0 - I know 5.0 is faster, but

OhBeWan
Guide

Download speed 2.4 vs 5.0 - I know 5.0 is faster, but

My internet service is supposed to be in the 200 Mbps range.

Under wireless settings on the Advanced tab of my router, it shows that the 2.4 Ghz radio can do up to 800 Mbps.  Well, using 3 different devices, I am only capable of doing 60 Mbps.  Same 3 devices on the 5.0 Ghz radio can do up to 230 Mbps, which is great! 

Why is the 2.4 Ghz so much slower than the stated speed?

What have I tried? Turning off Qos. Changing the max speed in QOS, even though it is off. Upgrading firmware from 68 to 80.  Moving devices off 2.4 and onto 5.0. I have not tried changing the channel as I fear i will have to mess with some devices I don't normally log onto. 

In theory, 60 is fast enough for everything I do but I still wonder. 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Download speed 2.4 vs 5.0 - I know 5.0 is faster, but

2.4ghz speeds are way overhyped. Its an industry wide issue. The 60mbps is actually fairly decent for 2.4ghz. 

I'd recommend reading through this article on wifi speeds

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Message 2 of 6

@OhBeWan wrote:

Under wireless settings on the Advanced tab of my router, it shows that the 2.4 Ghz radio can do up to 800 Mbps.  Well, using 3 different devices, I am only capable of doing 60 Mbps.  

Highly unlikely. Most 2.4 GHz devices can't get anywhere near that.

As @plemans suggests, those numbers don't make sense. How are you measuring them?

Message 3 of 6
OhBeWan
Guide

I am not measuring them.  When I logon to the r7800 router and look under Wireless Settings, those were the readings it gives. My devices are much slower.

The 60 Mbps readings are speedtest.net.

Message 4 of 6

@OhBeWan wrote:

I am not measuring them.  When I logon to the r7800 router and look under Wireless Settings, those were the readings it gives. My devices are much slower.

That's the theoretical settings for the standards involved. They have  nothing to do with the speed you will get. (Read the link that @plemans provided.)

Think of it like the speedometer on a car. It may say 120 mph at the top, but you'll only get that speed if you drive over a very high cliff. Sadly, the speedo won't register it though as you crash onto the ground.

@OhBeWan wrote:

The 60 Mbps readings are speedtest.net.

That's more like the real-world experience with many wifi clients on 2.4 GHz.

When I do speed tests, I don't rely on a single source. Speedtest.net is one of the most reliable, but a lot depend on the server you reach.

Message 5 of 6
antinode
Guru

> Sadly, the speedo won't register it though as you crash onto the
> ground.

Not to be picky, but on all the cars I've ever seen, the speedometer
is driven by some part of the drive train, so its accuracy plummets when
the car's drive wheels lose their connection with the road.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7