Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FTP unable to connect from outside

Deathsightgq
Aspirant

FTP unable to connect from outside

So I set everything up have a dynamic dns and i can access the ftp internally but cannot access the ftp from the outside any suggestion. heres a little I have verizon wireless modem and my router is connected to the modem I have port foward ip ending in .14 which is my nighthawk router port forward port 21

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: FTP unable to connect from outside

You didn't specify which router you have, but since you are posting in the Nighthawk forum, I'm going assume that's what you have.

If you look on page 89 of the R7000 manual, you'll see that there are two FTP settings. One to enable local access and one to enable Internet access. You need to enable the latter.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM_21Dec2015.pdf

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You have a port forwarding rule where the IP address is the router itself?  That doesn't make any sense.  You want the port forwarding rule to point to the IP address of the FTP server on your home network.

Message 2 of 9
Deathsightgq
Aspirant

yeah that what I did  I check the routers logs and it says [USB remote access] from xx.xx.xx.xx through FTP, Tuesday, Feb 23,2016 20:42:01but nothing comes up

Message 3 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Did you set it up to port forward TCP port 21?

Message 4 of 9
Deathsightgq
Aspirant

Yes let me try to explain again in case i said something wrong

I have the dynamic dns and i have set up ftp from the net gear router which I can access internally but not from the outside

my modem has a ip of 192.168.xx.xx my net gear routers ips is 192.168.xx.14 so I did a port foward 192.168.xx.14 tcp and udp 21  I am trying to ftp to my usb

Message 5 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Ok, I see. Did you enable FTP access from the Internet in the Readyshare settings on the Netgear router?
Message 6 of 9
Deathsightgq
Aspirant

Yes If I enabled it like I said works internal but not from the outside same thing if I pick the HTTP as well it works internally but not from the outside

Message 7 of 9
Deathsightgq
Aspirant

Not sure what happened but now it works

Message 8 of 9
TheEther
Guru

You didn't specify which router you have, but since you are posting in the Nighthawk forum, I'm going assume that's what you have.

If you look on page 89 of the R7000 manual, you'll see that there are two FTP settings. One to enable local access and one to enable Internet access. You need to enable the latter.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM_21Dec2015.pdf
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7