Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with OpenDNS setup for Nighthawk X8 R8500

Sid-R8500
Tutor

Help with OpenDNS setup for Nighthawk X8 R8500

Hi Gurus

I need some help with setting up my new router wirh OpenDNS (for parental controls). 

I wanted to use the easiest way using this post (this is how I set it up for my older router):

https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/228007927

But I cant find where is the "setting for Domain Name Server (DNS) Addresses" as mentioned in above post:

2.jpg

WAN Setup opton is disabled:

WAN-Setup.JPG

If I login to Genie, I do not see the option to setup this either. 

The other option I tried is via Genie. I had an existing OpenDNS account - but I deleted its settings. And logged into same OpenDNS account via Genie, configured the filtering, etc but the changes via Genie do not take effect. For example, facebook or social-networking sites are not being blocked.

I am a bit frustrated. I thought this would be a simple five-min thing (just like I did this with my older D-Link router) but so far I have been proved wrong.

Please help. 

Thank you!

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Help with OpenDNS setup for Nighthawk X8 R8500

After disabling AP mode on the R8500, it usually necessary to force all of your devices to obtain new IP addresses. If you don't know how to do that, then rebooting them will work.

If you log into the R8500, does it say that the Internet connection is up?

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

It looks like your R8500 is running in AP mode. If true, then you aren't supposed to put DNS settings here. They should go on your main router.
Message 2 of 12
Sid-R8500
Tutor

Thank you so much for your response. I think that's the problem. 

How do I change the operation mode of the R8500? This is my main (and only) router so I must have confgured it to run in AP mode incorrectly. What do I do now? 

Please advise!

Thank you!

Message 3 of 12
TheEther
Guru

Go to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP. Uncheck the Enable AP Mode box and click Apply.

But if this is your only router, how have you been accessing the Internet with multiple devices?
Message 4 of 12
Sid-R8500
Tutor

Sorry but I do not see any such option - see the screenshot below:

Capture1.JPG

And you have asked a good question but don't know the answer. Maybe above screenshots gives you idea. I configured three networks on the above screen. Two with 5Hz and one wth 2.4Hz. My devices connect to one of them whichever they are able to see. My new laptop connects to the 5Hz one and the older ones to the 2.4Hz one.

Please advise how can I reconfigure my router to not run in "AP" mode but a "Router" mode so that I may configure OpenDNS.

As you can see in the screenshot above, many options are disabled (perhas because it is running in AP mode).

Thank you so much for your time.

Message 5 of 12
Sid-R8500
Tutor

my apologies... I finally found it. But when I unchecked the "AP" option, the router rebooted and then all devices started to fail accessing internet even though they showed connected. Why is that?

Also, when I disabled the "AP" mode, there was a message that  may need to assign IP addresses to my device manually. Why is that?

Please advise!

Message 6 of 12
Sid-R8500
Tutor

also with the AP mode disabled, I can only access the router via "http://192.168.1.1" and not the "http://routerlogin.net/start.htm" url and vice versa. I am too confused.

please advise.

Message 7 of 12
TheEther
Guru

Who is your ISP and what is the model of the modem?

Is the R8500's yellow, Internet port connected to the modem?
Message 8 of 12
Sid-R8500
Tutor

Thank you for your response.

ISP is TekSavvy and Modem is "hitron" - see below:

IMG_0773.JPG

The Router is connected to LAN port of the VOIP gateway which is then connected to the Yellow port on the Modem - as showsn below:

IMG_0771.JPGIMG_0772.JPG

This how the tech support from ISP asked me to connect.

Please advise if this is wrong.

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 12
TheEther
Guru

After disabling AP mode on the R8500, it usually necessary to force all of your devices to obtain new IP addresses. If you don't know how to do that, then rebooting them will work.

If you log into the R8500, does it say that the Internet connection is up?
Message 10 of 12
Sid-R8500
Tutor

OK so I guess the way my modem-gateway-router are connected is not a problem - right?

'll try disablng the AP mode again and reboot all devices and see how it goes. And yes, after I disabled the AP mode last time and the router rebooted automatically, it said Internet connecton was up.

Thank you so much for your help - I'll try that and provide you update.

Message 11 of 12
Sid-R8500
Tutor

Hi there

disabled the AP mode, and all devices connecti fine. OpenDNS config is also effective. 

Thank you so much for all your time and help - much appreciated!!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7