Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAN to LAN Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Smart WiFi Router Model RC8700

_JR
Aspirant
Aspirant

LAN to LAN Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Smart WiFi Router Model RC8700

LAN to LAN   Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Smart WiFi Router Model RC8700

• What “Model” (dropdown) selection corresponds to my Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Smart WiFi Router Model RC8700
  • What does “location” mean (on the desktop, in California)? And is my selected location accurate?
  • Attempting LAN to LAN configuration
    1. Using Netgear User manual
    2. Nighthawk (droid) app
    3. How to Cascade Routers: 14 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Computer is connected to Netgear (secondary router) numbered Ethernet port

Isp’s router (192.168,1.1) is connected to Netgear (secondary router) another numbered Ethernet port

Cannot access Netgear router’s configuration menu.

• Attempted to log in (www.routerlogin.net ) using “NETGEAR37”/dizzyriv etc. (underside of router) - failed
  • Attempted to log in (www.routerlogin.net ) using “admin”/dizzyriv etc. (underside of router) –
    brought up www.routerlogin.net/unauth.cgi  - Entered Router’s serial number – then
    Router Password Recovery – Answered two security questions… Response “ www.routerlogin.net says the information you supplied does not match what is saved on the router. Please enter it again.”

What can I do now? or How do I reset all settings to default or blank so that I can start again?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
_JR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: LAN to LAN Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Smart WiFi Router Model RC8700

Thank you all for your help.

I now have a great router careening WiFi signals throughout the house (it's an open sort of house) and solving the Internet access problem we had upstairs.

I'm sure I will have more questions when I try and network my printers to it but for now it's great working the way it is.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have the R7800 in router or AP mode? 

What is the brand and model of the other router your connecting the R7800 too? 

Whats the other routers IP address pool string set for? Should be something different that 192.168.1.1...

If you have the R7800 in router mode, you should connect its WAN port to the upstream host routers LAN port. I believe this goes for AP mode as well. 

Message 2 of 8
_JR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Don't know.

1) Trying to follow instructions on page 21 of Netgear's user manual I haven't been able to log in to the modem to select Help Me Choose  to determine which mode I'm in.

What is the brand and model of the other router your connecting the R7800 too? "Mikrotik hAP AC-Lite wifi access point "

Whats the other routers IP address pool string set for? Should be something different that 192.168.1.1...

I would want to set my Netgear to 192.168.1.4 because I assume the isp router Mikrotik is set to 192.168.1.1. and I know my linksys (LAN TO L;AN router is set to 192.168.1.2  (The linksys router is in another building and is hardwired to Midrotic in a LAN TO LAN that works). The reason I am trying to set up this Netgear router as a LAN TO LAN within my house is because I have moved my wife's computer (from next to my computer, next to the Midrotik) upstairs and the signal isn't able to penetrate the floor (!!).

In order to (successfully) set up the inksys I followed the directions on How to Cascade Routers: 14 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow  which is unbelievably simplistic.

If you have the R7800 in router mode, you should connect its WAN port to the upstream host routers LAN port. I believe this goes for AP mode as well.

I assume by upstream do you mean the routers connected to the Mikrotik (Netgear and Linksys) or the Mikrotik? (If you mean the Mikrotix then it would be logically impossible to connect both the Netgear and Linksys to the same (WAN) port. On the other hand, if you mean the Netgear router, there's no diagram in the manual indicating which port is the WAN port nor any diagram indicating .

Message 3 of 8
_JR
Aspirant
Aspirant

A better, and simpler (only six minutes long !) video--and the one I used to configure the first LAN TO LAN configuration is https://www.linksys.com/ca/support-article/?articleNum=155108

I assume hooking up the Netgear to the same host router should involve the same process. But I can't configure the Netgear router.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
_JR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oh and one more thing.

I may have to contact my isp to deal with them (since the Mikrotik hAP AC-Lite  seems to be something I've never heard of!) but before contacting them I want to, if I'm not able to solve the whole LAN TO LAN problem from here at least be able to reconfigure my Netgear unit.

Agree?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@_JR wrote:

Don't know.

1) Trying to follow instructions on page 21 of Netgear's user manual I haven't been able to log in to the modem to select Help Me Choose  to determine which mode I'm in.

What is the brand and model of the other router your connecting the R7800 too? "Mikrotik hAP AC-Lite wifi access point "

This is not a router, its a wifi access point only. You sure this is the host router upstream or are you using something different? You mention a Linksys? What model is the Linksys? 

ISP modem> Main host router(What brand and model is seen here?)> NG R7800 

I would want to set my Netgear to 192.168.1.4 because I assume the isp router Mikrotik is set to 192.168.1.1. and I know my linksys (LAN TO L;AN router is set to 192.168.1.2  (The linksys router is in another building and is hardwired to Midrotic in a LAN TO LAN that works). The reason I am trying to set up this Netgear router as a LAN TO LAN within my house is because I have moved my wife's computer (from next to my computer, next to the Midrotik) upstairs and the signal isn't able to penetrate the floor (!!).

In order to (successfully) set up the inksys I followed the directions on How to Cascade Routers: 14 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow  which is unbelievably simplistic.

I assume by upstream do you mean the routers connected to the Mikrotik (Netgear and Linksys) or the Mikrotik? (If you mean the Mikrotix then it would be logically impossible to connect both the Netgear and Linksys to the same (WAN) port. On the other hand, if you mean the Netgear router, there's no diagram in the manual indicating which port is the WAN port nor any diagram indicating .

Message 6 of 8
_JR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you all for your help.

I now have a great router careening WiFi signals throughout the house (it's an open sort of house) and solving the Internet access problem we had upstairs.

I'm sure I will have more questions when I try and network my printers to it but for now it's great working the way it is.

Thanks

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear.

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7