Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NetG Router Scam

runj
Guide

NetG Router Scam

I'm an idiot and called a number after google searching for orbi set up help.  I thought it was fishy and the guy promised me it wasn't a scam and said he would refund me if it was.  I said fine and paid the money and they helped me set up my wifi and orbi's.  Funny thing is they actually got it up and running and helped tremendously.  Sooo...just got a refund from paypal and the NetG message said, "Note from NetG Router Inc: We're actually scammers. We're not really NetGear or anything. Sorry for scamming you."  

My internet is working great and am having no issues.  Have checked all accounts and nothing is missing anywhere.  Everywhere I read it says that if your router is hacked (I guess their intention) it will run slowly and try to send you to scam websites.  None of this seems to be happening.  

My question is this:  did I get lucky with a good soul that truly just refunded me or am I about to have my identity stolen in some way?  If the latter, what do you suggest to remedy the situation?  New router?  Change all passwords?  

If my router is running fine, do i need a new one?  Can i just do a reset and boot anything from the system?  

Any help is appreciated.  

Message 1 of 3
microchip8
Master

Re: NetG Router Scam

You got lucky it seems. Never google for NG support as NG doesn't offer support and outsources it to GearHead. That's the only legit support. All sites you find on google claiming they are NG support are scammers. Next time click on MyNETGEAR to get hold of someone who actually works for them https://www.netgear.com/support/

Message 2 of 3

Re: NetG Router Scam

@runj wrote:

My question is this:  did I get lucky with a good soul that truly just refunded me or am I about to have my identity stolen in some way?  If the latter, what do you suggest to remedy the situation?  New router?  Change all passwords?  

I would check my credit card statements for any signs of further action. But it is odd if they provided a spontaneous refund.

Then again, some of us have ben trying to persuade Netgear to go after these crooks. Maybe the lawyers have started to throw their weight around.

As to the router, just change the admin password. There isn't much that a hacker can do, but if you did provide them with that password, I'd change it as a precaution. There isn't much they can do with the wifi passwords, unless the scammer happens to be a neighbour.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7