Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk X6 Tribend R8000 - no internet with Arris Surfboard SBG10

sanjuk
Initiate

Netgear Nighthawk X6 Tribend R8000 - no internet with Arris Surfboard SBG10

Background: I have been using X6 R8000 wifi router for couple of years with Century link DSL modem(+ wifi router) and it worked fine.

Last month I switched service from Century Link to Xfinity (Comcast) and my cable modem is Arris Surfboard SBG10 (modem + wifi router)

Arris router is working correctly and there are many devices (Vonage phone, Arlo cameras, other many devices, etc.) are also connected with this modem (using netgear switch). I want to use Netgear as another wifi router, as signal coverage of this router is better than Arris.

Problem: Netgear router showing all LEDs as-if everything is working correctly, but there is no internet when I connect my laptop with Netgear wi-fi. I have restarted, done reset as well many times. I also changed default DHCP server IP of Arris to 192.168.1.1 and Netgear default is 192.168.0.1.

When I connect my macbook with Netgear wifi, it shows:

Wi-Fi has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.84.226 and will not be able to connect to the Internet.

When I connect my macbook with Network Cable from Netgear, It shows:

The cable for Apple USB Ethernet Adapter is connected, but your computer does not have an IP address.

After some time:

Apple USB Ethernet Adapter has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet.

When I try connecting an android phone with Netgear wifi - It fails and shows - Could not get the IP.

Sorry for a long post, but I wanted to give enough information about context and the steps I have already taken.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk X6 Tribend R8000 - no internet with Arris Surfboard SBG10

Its because you're running 2 routers in router mode on the same network. Its called a double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Try running the R8000 in access point mode. It disables its routing features but you'd still be able to use the wireless/ethernet and it just leaves the arris running routing

Message 2 of 3
sanjuk
Initiate

Re: Netgear Nighthawk X6 Tribend R8000 - no internet with Arris Surfboard SBG10

I am still wondering how it worked with CenturyLink DSL Modem+Wifi Router.

Thank you for the response. I tried running Arris in Bridge mode and it did not solve it. Netgear wifi router never showed internet LED turning white and Arris was not available as wifi router as well. I have to factory reset Arris to run in Natted mode again. I was not able to change X6 in AP mode, as it does neighter connect over wi-fi nor by wire. Same problem reported in original post. I'll dig more.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7