Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC1900 Smart Wifi Router—out of date?

pegrosenthal
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC1900 Smart Wifi Router—out of date?

I bought my Nighthawk AC1900 Smart Wifi Router in 2017. I see that Netgear no longer makes this model. Is my router still keeping my devices safe from hackers?  Or is it time for me to buy a new one?  If so, what model do I want?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 Smart Wifi Router—out of date?

The R7000 was a big hit and NETGEAR sold a lot of units. It still recieves updates but is no longer sold due to its age. I would start looking into something new(er) like a RAX model. I currently run a RAX43 here and have had very few issues with it, but I mostly only need the basics/core features of a router like reserving DHCP IPs for devices, WiFi and port forwarding. I don't need parental control, traffic meter, bitdefender/armor ReadyShare or other exotic features.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
microchip8
Master

AC1900 is a speed, not router model. Which one you're talking about? The R7000?
Message 2 of 6
pegrosenthal
Aspirant

Yes, model is R7000.  I bought it in 2017. Is it out of date? Does it still protect my devices from hackers, or should I buy a newer model?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

FW up to date? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-5-AC-Routers/New-R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-216-...

@pegrosenthal wrote:

I bought my Nighthawk AC1900 Smart Wifi Router in 2017. I see that Netgear no longer makes this model. Is my router still keeping my devices safe from hackers?  Or is it time for me to buy a new one?  If so, what model do I want?

Message 4 of 6

@pegrosenthal wrote:

Does it still protect my devices from hackers, or should I buy a newer model?

The router is just one of the things that stands between you and the naughty people.

You also need to think about your PCs, mobile devices and other stuff.

The biggest threat is when someone on the network does something that no router can detect, like opening an email attachment from the KGB or some other evildoer.

Message 5 of 6
microchip8
Master

The R7000 was a big hit and NETGEAR sold a lot of units. It still recieves updates but is no longer sold due to its age. I would start looking into something new(er) like a RAX model. I currently run a RAX43 here and have had very few issues with it, but I mostly only need the basics/core features of a router like reserving DHCP IPs for devices, WiFi and port forwarding. I don't need parental control, traffic meter, bitdefender/armor ReadyShare or other exotic features.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7