Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 drops wifi, 2.4 not available

stermarc
Follower

Nighthawk R7000 drops wifi, 2.4 not available

Recently this Nighthawk R7000 has been droppping wifi often. And once I bring it back, my devices usuall don't even find the 2.4Ghz channel at all.

Last few days, I have been powering down and back up multiple times a day to get wifi back. And almost always just now my devices don't even see the 2.4 band anymore. My printer REQUIRES 2.4 band, so I really need that. My Mac sees it, but only 2 out of 3 bars. Sometimes the printer sees 2.4 band but with only 1 of 3 bars.

The Mac is on the same desk as the Nighthawk. The printer is about 15 feet away.

Router firmware version is V1.0.9.88_ 10.2.88

Mac OS 11.3.1

iPhone/iPad OS 14.5.1

Message 1 of 3
r7000problems
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk R7000 drops wifi, 2.4 not available

I have same issue since January. Debugging step's I've taken to no avail:

• Manual Factory Reset (Button hold)
  • Update firmware
  • Manual Factory Reset again
  • Place devices causing crash in separate networks/bands (2.4 vs. 5ghz)
  • Disable 2.4 ghz network
  • Remove all devices from network except few pushing heavier data streams
  • Disable firewall and DHCP server functionality (now have upstream dedicated firewall and DHCP a.la PFSENSE)

What a joke. Every morning when our second laptop connects to wifi and then VPN, POOF, internet connection gone. Sometimes you disconnect one device and internet comes back, sometimes it power cycles itself, sometimes it just stays off requiring a manual power cycle. Once the big data push is done, things stabilize, sometimes very slowly and you can re-connect devices until two have heavy data flow at same time again.

I'd love to send logs to netgear engineer but turns out support only lasts 90 days. I've had this R7000 for years so I guess I shouldn't complain but it's clearly an issue caused by Netgear updates for functionality that I probably don't even care about given the ONLY thing it does is act as an access point and it can't even do that. How do I know? The device didn't crash for YEARS with far more functionaliy enabled and far more devices connected pushing far heavier data streams; and now it can't manage one full day of uptime with light use and few connected devices with all functionality disabled.

If there is a KNOWLEDGEABLE engineer at Netgear who wants to connect or for me to share logs (don't see any option to do so in UI, don't know console commands) I'd LOVE to help, but please don't waste my time with level 1 support.

Message 2 of 3
Vinoucon
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 drops wifi, 2.4 not available

Same thing is happening to me!! once a day it goes out, we have to reset the wifi and it comes back.  It just started doing this 2 weeks ago on a daily basis.  We had Spectrum come out and change our modem 2 days ago.  Guess that's not it. 😞

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7