Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R8000 X6 AC3200 flashed to DDWRT

cooncats
Aspirant

Nighthawk R8000 X6 AC3200 flashed to DDWRT

Got this router to use with my VPN.  They require it to be flashed to DDWRT.  I actually found a late version of DDWRT that works, July 27, 2024.  My VPN claimed they supported this router but their command line would not cause it to connect.  Foolishly I let them use Team Viewer to work on it and they tried to reflash it with another version of DDWRT at which point it became deaf and mute.  Wifi both bands light up but even after a factory reset "ddwrt" does not appear on my wifi list.

When connected to my ISP the router internet light lights but the router will not pass that internet connection through to a computer connected into one of the ethernet ports.  

In other words, here is the problem:

"Unable to address router interface."

Unable to communicate with router via ethernet OR wifi.

When connected to my primary ISP now the router will not pass internet.  And it does now show a direct wifi connection either.  So it really is deaf mute.  Tried 198.162.1.1 via two different browsers with no effect.

I have the router connected via ethernet and checking connections shows they are connected.  

Found a 4 year old thread here about doing a TFTP fix, It is really too technical for me to follow and doesn't seem to work for Windows 11.

Tried using command prompt ping to 198.162.1.1 and got unable to access but it also reads 4 packets sent and received and none loss.  Not sure what that means.  I am below novice level on this stuff.

I don't think the router is bricked but it is useless unless I can somehow get in and reflash to factory.  

Is there a video somewhere that can walk me through this at the "See **bleep** and Jane" level or can someone here help me with this?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R8000 X6 AC3200 flashed to DDWRT

DDWRT can take different ways to recover. Its why when its been flashed with aftermarket firmware, it has to go through that forum to help fix it. the procedures we give might cause issues. 

so go to the DDWRT forums for help. They might have even already went over recovering from a bricked procedure. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to post about over in the DD-WRT forum. 

This forum is for NG stock FW.

Message 2 of 6
cooncats
Aspirant

I need to reflash direct, not through the DDWRT interface which is inaccessible.  Can you help me with this?

Can it be accessed from a USB port?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

DDWRT can take different ways to recover. Its why when its been flashed with aftermarket firmware, it has to go through that forum to help fix it. the procedures we give might cause issues. 

so go to the DDWRT forums for help. They might have even already went over recovering from a bricked procedure. 

Message 4 of 6
cooncats
Aspirant

I am told over there it cannot be fixed via DDWRT.  This situation is very similar to some threads here where some versions of Factory firmware bricked R800's.  This is basically a brick situation caused by a bad build of DDWRT, not repairable through the DDWRT interface.

So to repeat, is there any way to flash this router back to Factory using something like that TFTP procedure in the 2020 thread?  If that still works is there an updated guide for it for Windows 11?  I'll take my chances with any direct method that might work as this router is basically bricked any way.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

You can try this method that forced the R8000Pto upgrade when it was locked. Maybe it'll help. Or try tftp or nmrp flash

Solved: R8000P V1.4.1.50 Update workaround - NETGEAR Communities

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series