Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R8000Pturn on IPV6

LeadPipe
Aspirant

Nighthawk R8000Pturn on IPV6

Hi I have a P8000 and I’m trying to turn on IPv6 to run an Xbox series x. Is there a way to turn this on? The version I have is V1.4.4.94. My ISP is Hotwire communications. I have very little technical knowledge. 

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 50

Accepted Solutions
LeadPipe
Aspirant

Tech was here made a bunch of calls and determined IPV6 isn’t available yet. “It’s something we’re working on”. It’s 50/50 if it’s actually not turned on or they just wanted to get rid of me. But anyway thanks everyone for the help. 

View solution in original post

Message 46 of 50

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@LeadPipe wrote:

Hi I have a P8000 and I’m trying to turn on IPv6 to run an Xbox series x. Is there a way to turn this on? The version I have is V1.4.4.94. My ISP is Hotwire communications. I have very little technical knowledge. 

Thanks in advance!

Couple of questions.  What is the brand name and model number of the modem/ONT connected upstream between your router and the internet?  Does your ISP support IPv6?

If yes, proceed.  Log in to the router user interface, go to the Advanced Tab -> Advanced Setup -> IPv6.  Under connection type, select either DHCP or Auto Detect.  Under IPv6 DNS, select get automatically from your ISP.  Under LAN setup, select use DHCP server.

Once you make the changes, you should reboot your router.

Message 2 of 50

@Kitsap is spot on with the general advice, but be warned that IPv6 comes in various flavours and not all Netgear routers support all of them.

For example, my R7800 does not support the IPv6 implementation that BT uses in the UK.

Fortunately, my current Netgear router has an "auto" setting that detects BT's implementation of IPv6.

Message 3 of 50
LeadPipe
Aspirant

I have a call into my ISP the agent that I talked to “thought” it was supported but they are having a tech call me back. I made the changes it the router but it says 

“Router,s IPV6 address on WAN not available”.

this is a fiber optic line so I would be surprised if it wasn’t supported..

thanks!

Message 4 of 50
Kitsap
Master

@LeadPipe wrote:

I have a call into my ISP the agent that I talked to “thought” it was supported but they are having a tech call me back. I made the changes it the router but it says 

thanks!

Repeat question:  What is the brand name and model number of your Optical Network Terminal (ONT)?

I agree, I would be surprised if your ISP (Hotwire Communications) does not support IPv6.  It should also be fairly standard support coming from Florida USA.

First step would be to power down your network and restart it in sequence.  Pull the power cord on your ONT, router, and game station.  Wait a few seconds and power up your ONT.  Give it plenty of time to boot and stabilize.  Now power up your router and give it plenty of time to boot and stabilize.  Power up the rest of your devices.

If you are using a Windows computer, go to the task manager and look at the network connection section under the performance tab.  It should show an IPv6 address for your computer.

Message 5 of 50
LeadPipe
Aspirant

It’s a Nokia model XS-250X-A

thanks

Message 6 of 50
LeadPipe
Aspirant

Did all that and no change. I feel something in the router is blocking it. I Don’t know how to check the computer like you said but I can see through the nighthawk app that it’s assigned a “regular” IPV4 IP address. 

Message 7 of 50
Kitsap
Master

@LeadPipe wrote:

It’s a Nokia model XS-250X-A

thanks

This is specifically why I asked.  Your Nokia XS-250-A is a combination device.  An optical network terminal and a router in the same box.

When you connect your R8000P downstream of your Nokia you are cascading two routers on the same network.  A configuration that will give you much grief.  Commonly known as double NAT.  You need to read here as to why it is not recommended.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-double-NAT-and-why-is-it-bad 

To correct the situation, you are going to have to dig in to the configuration of your Nokia XS-250-A or configure your R8000P as a wired access point. 

If you choose to set your R8000P as an access point, some of the features will no longer be available.  See here for details. 

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M... 

There may be information available from your ISP or Nokia support world that will provide details on how to connect a second router downstream.

You are most likely correct in thinking a router is blocking your IPv6 configuration.  But, it is not the Netgear router.  

Message 8 of 50
LeadPipe
Aspirant

Thanks for your response. Configuring the netgear wouldn’t help because one of the features disabled is IPV6 (from the list you sent) I don’t own the Nokia box so I doubt they would let me mess with it. Do you think if I purchased my own ONT that would work? Is that even possible? I had my own modem with the cable co but this seems more involved. 
thanks again for the help

Message 9 of 50
LeadPipe
Aspirant

Also, would using a switch work? I can connect the switch to the ONT and then connect the Xbox and the router to the switch. The Xbox would then bypass the router?

Message 10 of 50
Kitsap
Master

@LeadPipe wrote:

Also, would using a switch work? I can connect the switch to the ONT and then connect the Xbox and the router to the switch. The Xbox would then bypass the router?

Having your R8000P connected to a switch that is connected downstream of your Nokia ONT/router would not resolve anything.

It appears your Nokia ONT/router is of a relatively recent design with good features.  It has AC Wi-Fi and four each 1 Gb Ethernet output ports.  The ONT cut sheet was readily found via a web search.  The user manual could also be found the same way or from your ISP.  I do not know anything about your physical layout.  There is a good chance you could connect everything direct to your ONT/Router and not use the Netgear R8000P at all.

Just because you do not own the Nokia ONT/router does not necessarily mean you are not allowed to configure it for your use.  That is a question only your ISP can answer.

Message 11 of 50
LeadPipe
Aspirant

I’ll ask but I don’t think they would be keen on it based on other conversations I had. When they buy the ONT they order them without all the ports activated (so I was told) Regarding the switch the Xbox would be connected to the switch not the router so wouldn’t that solve the double nat problem? Sorry like I posted in the original post I am not good at this type of stuff. 

thanks

Message 12 of 50
Kitsap
Master

@LeadPipe wrote:

I’ll ask but I don’t think they would be keen on it based on other conversations I had. When they buy the ONT they order them without all the ports activated (so I was told) Regarding the switch the Xbox would be connected to the switch not the router so wouldn’t that solve the double nat problem? Sorry like I posted in the original post I am not good at this type of stuff. 

thanks

You are working your way through something you are not familiar with.  You will get there!

Do you have a computer with an Ethernet input port you could use to test to see if the other Ethernet output ports are active?  Maybe use your X box to test? If you connect your X box direct to the ONT, look to see if it has an IPv6 address.

Can you tell if there is any Wi-Fi being broadcast from the ONT/router?

Message 13 of 50
LeadPipe
Aspirant

I will test the ports with the xbox. I don’t think the ONT puts out any wifi, it came with a Eros router with which was very weak signal. 

Message 14 of 50
LeadPipe
Aspirant

The tech who hooked up the system told me that only one of the ports on the ONT worked. I confirmed this with the Xbox. Also, I hooked the Xbox directly to the ONT and hard reset everything and still only got IPV4.

Message 15 of 50
Kitsap
Master

The last two posts from you have put together a couple more of the pieces of this puzzle.

With your X box connected directly to the ONT port 1, you get an IPv4 address.  Is it a local IP address something like 192.168.xxx.xxx or is it something different?

Has your ISP shared a username and password to log in to the Nokia ONT?

Do the pictures in the attached data sheet look like the ONT you have?

Did your ISP supplied Eros router provide an IPv6 address to your X box?

Message 16 of 50
LeadPipe
Aspirant

Yes, local IP. I got the Xbox after I switched to the nighthawk router. No it doesn’t look the same. I will try to add a picture. IMG_1275.jpeg

Message 17 of 50
LeadPipe
Aspirant

IMG_0984.jpeg

Message 18 of 50

@LeadPipe wrote:

My point was about your R8000P router supporting their IPv6, not the ISP supporting it.

I know that my R7800 from 2017 does not support BT's IPv6-PD implementation of IPv6. I have no idea if the R8000P, from the same year, supports your ISP's implementation.

There was some grief back in 2016 when a lot of users found that they had routers that could not get them IPv6.

Message 19 of 50
Kitsap
Master

When you insert a picture, I cannot see them until an official admin approves them.  So many hours ??

If you attach the picture, there is no such wait.  See screenshot attached below.

Please attach you pictures, you can attach more than one picture in a message.

Message 20 of 50
LeadPipe
Aspirant

I tried to do it but failed..I sent a PM with the pix maybe they will go through instantaneously. 

Message 21 of 50
Kitsap
Master

@LeadPipe wrote:

I tried to do it but failed..I sent a PM with the pix maybe they will go through instantaneously. 

The same admin approval wait time applies to PM's.

Message 22 of 50
LeadPipe
Aspirant

Bummer, I’ll see if my wife can do it when she gets home later. 
thanks!

Message 23 of 50

In line pix are visible for me.

Can @Kitsap see them now?

Message 24 of 50
Kitsap
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

In line pix are visible for me.

Can @Kitsap see them now?