Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R8500 Slow Speeds

zrocweb
Aspirant

Nighthawk R8500 Slow Speeds

Recently upgrade Fifos package from 300 to 500 and then from 500 to gig. R8500 slows down connection speeds up to if not more, by half of total ISP network bandwidth.  I have the latest firmware on the router and have done everything humanly possible at this point that I am aware of.  QOS is turned off as with gig connection, don't need it as it will just slow down total throughput.  Got any suggestions??? I'm about to toss this thing in the trash and go mega-social on netgear for their lack of support.  Everything was fine on this up until a few firmware updates ago.  Currently using latest which is: v1.0.2.136.

I've confirmed it's definalty the router. If I run ethernet directly from modem to computer, bypassing the router, connection is 982+. As soon as I go back to the router with default settings, connection goes down to 437 +/- 100 hwich is totally unaceptable.

Looking for your support and guidance and please don't repsond back with one sentence question/response.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R8500 Slow Speeds

What modem/gateway are you using? 

Since you updated firmware, have you ever factory reset and did a clean install (not from backup)?

I'd try that first. Just install with basic settings and test the speeds. 
Make sure to leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled. 

Message 2 of 7
zrocweb
Aspirant

Hey. Thanks for reply. I'm pretty sure I did, but will try again.

Message 3 of 7
zrocweb
Aspirant

I give up this is ridiclious..  Full factory reset, QOS=Off, Access Control=OFF, nothing specific other than the password has been changed after factory reset and still 55%-60% downgrade on all speeds.  Great piece of firmware Netgear. great... F. this pice of sh** router..

The fact that the Up is far greater than the down is proof in the pudding. Should never be with zero devices connected outside the computer it's being tested on.

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

You've given up rather easily after only trying a reset/reinstall. If you want to be done, thats fine, I'll quite helping but you've barely started on what steps you can do to troubleshoot. But if you've lost confidence and want to call it. OK by me. 

If not, a few more details.

What device are you testing on? 

have you tried different servers on the speedtest site? not all will saturate gigabit.

What modem/gateway are you connecting to?

Message 5 of 7
zrocweb
Aspirant

Not giving up so to speak. Been working on this for over a week now. Yesterday was first time I posted anything about it. There is something def with the R8500 that slows down your speeds, regardless of factory settings or not. I've seen this posted all over the net just hadn't happened to me until recently.  There is no resolve but to take a hammer to a $600 router(at least it was when I purchased it years ago).

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Hammer away or sell it then. (personally, i'd sell it before hammering it. You can still get a fair amount for it) 

Or work with me a bit on more details to fix it. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7