Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X8 Model D8500 Power knocked dout by storm. Wont turn on ...just low clicking sound

rubystoy
Aspirant

Nighthawk X8 Model D8500 Power knocked dout by storm. Wont turn on ...just low clicking sound

Hi all I have a Model D8500 Nighthawk x8 which was knocked out by a lightning storm. It now wont turn back on ...no lights at all...and just emits a low clicking sound. The power adapter doesnt smell fried. Any thoughts /ideas?? thanks

Message 1 of 6
antinode
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X8 Model D8500 Power knocked dout by storm. Wont turn on ...just low clicking sound

> [...] won[']t turn back on ...no lights at all...and just emits a low
> clicking sound. [...]

Sounds to me like hardware.

> [...] The power adapter doesnt smell fried. [...]

Can you test/swap it?

Message 2 of 6

Re: Nighthawk X8 Model D8500 Power knocked dout by storm. Wont turn on ...just low clicking sound

@rubystoy wrote:

Hi all I have a Model D8500 Nighthawk x8 which was knocked out by a lightning storm.

Been there, done that. Even a minor spike on the power line can do serious damage. In my case, the telephone line got hit, taking out modems, fax machine (it was that long ago) and a PC.

In your case, the first port of call could be the power adapter. These are generic devices, so anything you have lying around with the right volts and amps, and that fits into the D8500, would be a good test.

If that doesn't rescue the modem/router, it is replacement time. Sadly, modem/routers are increasingly hard to come across.

Message 3 of 6
rubystoy
Aspirant

Power adapter is v powerful and impossible to match without replacing it...very expensive in Australia...but thanks

Message 4 of 6
rubystoy
Aspirant

Thanks for sharing your experience. Replacing the power adaptor in Australia is too expensive ...on the off chance that the hrdware is still ok. So unless anyone else has any other suggestions I may have to accept your advice and give up on it . Cheers and thanks.

Message 5 of 6

@rubystoy wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience. Replacing the power adaptor in Australia is too expensive ...on the off chance that the hrdware is still ok. So unless anyone else has any other suggestions I may have to accept your advice and give up on it . Cheers and thanks.

That doesn't make sense. People here have reported success in replacing power adapters.

It took a few minutes to find a few on Amazon in Oz that show that this sort of thing exists.

18.5V 19V 19.5V 20V 4.74A 90W Universal Power Adapter Charger for Acer Asus Dell HP Lenovo Samsung S...

90W Multi Universal Laptop Charger AC Adapter for HP Toshiba ACER ASUS DELL Sony Samsung 15V 16V 18V...

Adjustable AC 100-240V to DC 3V-12V 3V-24V 9V-24V Universal Adapter Transformer Power Supply Adapter...

Prices from $25 up.

No guarantees that these fill all the specs – I didn't dig down far enough to confirm that –  but the important thing is to forget about what they say they are for.Adapters are just that. They adapt the mains to your needs: 240 volts in, 19 volts out.

UK, Australia: 220V, 50/60 Hz, input

Europe: 100–240V, 50/60 Hz, input

All regions: 19V @ 3.16 ADC output

If eBay in Oz is anything like it is here, it is probably full of stuff that ships to you from China.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7