Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NighthawkR7960P upgrade from Version 1.4.1.44_1.3.5 to 1.4.1.68_1.3.28 doesn't work!

hoa553
Follower

NighthawkR7960P upgrade from Version 1.4.1.44_1.3.5 to 1.4.1.68_1.3.28 doesn't work!

This is the second time I tried, unsuccessfully, to upgrade the firmware from version 1.4.1.44_1.3.5 to version 1.4.1.68_1.3.28.

I received an email letting me know that the new version firmware was available sometime in December. So I logged on the routerlogin.com/192.168.1.1, click the tab " new version of firmware available" to upgrade. It appeared to me that the browser tried to connect to the netgear server but didn't go thru, but it managed to reboot the router after many time trying.

It bothered me a great deal that netgear only provides the support for 30 days. This is an expensive equipment, over a hundred dollar is not cheap. 

After several attempts, without any luck, I decided to reset the nighthawk to the factory setting and watched it connected to the server then upgraded the firmware to version 1.4.1.44_1.3.5. Once the router completed the process, I repeated the same process, clicked on the upgrade tab to upgrade to the 1.4.1.68_1.3.28 version, and once again it acted exactly the same way, never be able to connect to the server so it can download the software.

Did Netgear set this up in purpose? Did negear try to prevent us to upgrade the firmware by causing all this troubles? I begin to questions, if your script doesn't work, you need to fix it, you cannot just let it bothers your customer.

I have spent so much time to figure out what need to be done. If this can't be resolved I will never buy another piece of equipment from the company ever again!

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: NighthawkR7960P upgrade from Version 1.4.1.44_1.3.5 to 1.4.1.68_1.3.28 doesn't work!

@hoa553 wrote:

It bothered me a great deal that netgear only provides the support for 30 days. This is an expensive equipment, over a hundred dollar is not cheap. 

What gave you that impression? It is 90 days for a new device. Warranty is a year or longer, depending on local laws.

@hoa553 wrote:

I received an email letting me know that the new version firmware was available sometime in December. So I logged on the routerlogin.com/192.168.1.1, click the tab " new version of firmware available" to upgrade.

Experienced users avoid that update technique. Too risky.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Check the section in the manual on updating the firmware.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

Message 2 of 5
jl8472
Aspirant

Re: NighthawkR7960P upgrade from Version 1.4.1.44_1.3.5 to 1.4.1.68_1.3.28 doesn't work!

I have tried from the app (which has worked before), from in the web gui, downloaded the update and tried to flash it, and even tried tftp. Failed every single time. Not sure if it's the file or something else but Netgear wants money to support me which is beyond unacceptable.

I'm hoping it's just a bad file but Netgear won't release 1) another update or 2) a newer file so who knows.
Message 3 of 5

@jl8472 wrote:
I have tried from the app (which has worked before), from in the web gui, downloaded the update and tried to flash it, and even tried tftp. Failed every single time.

Without knowing what you did and what "failed" means, it is anybody's guess as to what is happening. I do know that TFTP is a fiddly process that is easy to get wrong.

@jl8472 wrote:
Not sure if it's the file or something else but Netgear wants money to support me which is beyond unacceptable.

A broken file would have hit many people.

This place is free.

Free support is for the 90 days after purchase. You bought a consumer grade piece of electronic kit. Lifetime support is not common in that market.

Message 4 of 5
phillage
Aspirant

Having same issue. Will not complete the FW upgrade from: 

1.4.1.44_1.3.5 to 1.4.1.68_1.3.28

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7