Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6400 v2 speeds

Rubberman_
Guide

R6400 v2 speeds

I have the R6400 v2 router and the SB8200 modem on 500Mpbs internet. My speeds are terrible wired and wireless. Using my iphone on the 5ghz band i can get around 300 down. Wired on the PS5 or my smart tv i am gettung under 100 down.  Is this router junk and should i look for something else? I am using cat6 cable between main equipment and cat5e to devices.

diagram - https://ibb.co/rHT2tpX

Server-Network-Diagram.jpg

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: R6400 v2 speeds

A couple things. 

1. The R6400 won't hit 500mbps over 5ghz. Its a base model gigabit device. Even some of the higher performing AC routers will struggle with 500mbps over 5ghz. 2.4ghz won't even get close

2. what firmware is on your r6400?

3. do you have a pc/laptop you can hardwire into the r6400 to test its wired speeds? If its hitting 300mbps over 5ghz, it means its receiving greater speeds from the modem. So then we need to check the wired speeds with a different device to see if its a problem with the PS5 or the router. Also, when you're checking wired speeds, try a few different site. they don't always choose the best test servers. 

Message 2 of 10
Rubberman_
Guide

This morning before i left for work i reflashed the router to 1.0.2.52. I was on the current latest firmware. But i have not reset the router after the firmware.  If you glanced at the link for my network diagram, my son has his laptop wired and he did get 500 down. Other things like the PS5 and smartTV couldnt get anything faster than 60 down.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

Sorry, learned long ago not to click random links 🙂

If the laptop is hitting 500mbps, then I'd be trusting of that. Most tv's aren't equiped with gigabit connections since streaming 4k only takes 25-40mbps. Its the rare tv that has a gig connection as its not needed. So it might just be an issue with the ps5. 

I don't have a ps5 to play with to see if there's different ways of testing them such as different servers, etc. But I'd pull up your wan/lan port statistics on the router and see what speed they're connected at. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Another thing is if you do a factory reset, make sure to leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled. 

Again, the r6400 is a base model device and when those are enabled, it puts a burden on the cpu that cuts speeds into the 200 (ish)mbps range. 

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

I did look at your diagram and I'd recommend trying to connect the ps5 directly to the r6400 and see what speeds it gets. Every step adds a chance for an issue and you know the router is getting full speeds if the laptop can pull 500mbps. 

Message 5 of 10
Rubberman_
Guide

Ok after re-routing some cables and changing out some cables i think I'm back in business. I'm still running the old firmware but the ps5 is getting 500 down along with the iMac and my sons laptop. iPad Pro and iPhone on 5ghz band is getting any where from the high 300s to low 400s. 

should I stick to the old firmware or update to,the latest?

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

I'd stick with whats working.

But you do have the option of making a backup configuration. That way if you do update and there's issues, you can always downgrade back down and restore the backup.

Glad to see you got it up and running. I'm pretty impressed your hitting 400mbps ish over wifi. the R6400 is a base model gigabit device. Pretty much have ever last spec of power out of it to be hitting that over wifi. 

Message 7 of 10
Rubberman_
Guide

my download speeds are correct but upload speeds are maxed out at 9-10mpbs. No matter what device i use. Im wondering if the old firmware is the cause. upload speeds should be 50.

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

Even wired gets that speed?

You could try the update. Like I said, just make a backup

Message 9 of 10
Rubberman_
Guide

yeap updated to current firmware and my download speeds go back to topping out around 250mbps. (on wired devices). Updated to another older firmware and downloads are back to 500+ but uploads are back to 12mbps

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7