Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000_UM.pdf

Miles49
Aspirant

R7000_UM.pdf

I have tried to download the router's newest user manual several times over several days and each time Adobe reports that the file is corrupted.  I want the new user manual because my manual tells me to use the router's built-in update function,  but I tried that on an earlier R7000 and the router was distroyed by the update. This resulted in my having to buy a new one since that router was out of warranty. I called customer service and they informed me that I should never use that function.  I should update the firmware manually.  My manual does not tell me how to do that. 

I want that new manulal! 

Can someone tell me how to download the newest user manual for the R7000 router? 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Topology
Virtuoso

Re: R7000_UM.pdf

Miles49, I am able to successfully download the User Manual for the Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router (Model R7000) from here. The document is dated January, 2019 (186 pages). Perhaps you can try the download using a different PC?

P.S.:  It is unclear how the router's built-in firmware update process would destroy the device.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
Topology
Virtuoso

Miles49, I am able to successfully download the User Manual for the Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router (Model R7000) from here. The document is dated January, 2019 (186 pages). Perhaps you can try the download using a different PC?

P.S.:  It is unclear how the router's built-in firmware update process would destroy the device.

Message 2 of 8
Miles49
Aspirant

I was able to down load the user manual on another computer, actually a tablet.  

I don't know definitively how the update function destroyed of the older R7000 router either.  All I know is that after updating the router firmware it would not longer function.  I couldn't even log into it.  I contacted NetGear customer service and spent aboout four hours with them trying to recover the router to no avail.  The IT person told me it was dead, not recoverable and, since it was out of warranty, I would have to buy a new one.  He said that most likely the update was corrupted during download and a non-functioning router was the result.  I did buy a new one and have been very reluctant to update the firmware.

Message 3 of 8

@Miles49 wrote:

All I know is that after updating the router firmware it would not longer function. 

What did the LEDs on the thing look like?

If the power LED was not as expected, flashing or amber, then there may still be ways to bring it back to life. Many many people have done so.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@Miles49 wrote:

I contacted NetGear customer service and spent aboout four hours with them trying to recover the router to no avail. 

I hope you didn't not phone someone on the basis of a web search.

If you called a number that you found with a web search, that almost certainly had nothing to do with Netgear.

Netgear handles paid for support through GearHead Technical Support.

GearHead Support

Web searches can deliver results that scream "Netgear support" at the top but that turn out to be anything but. Using them can be dangerous, for your network and your bank balance.

@Miles49 wrote:

He said that most likely the update was corrupted during download and a non-functioning router was the result. 

Sounds like someone who didn't know what they were talking about.

@Miles49 wrote:

I did buy a new one and have been very reluctant to update the firmware.

The most reliable way to update the firmware is to follow the manual approach with a wired connection to the router. The manual explains how to go about that.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 8
Miles49
Aspirant

I called NetGear Support directly and if I reached someone who wasn't qualified, it is not my fault but NetGear's.  Anyway the Power LED was steady white but the computer could not  communicate with the Router.  We tried what you proposed to upload the firware, but the router would not respond. The other lights should that devices were attached, but the router would not respond to the other devices.  Three or four hours of finageling and attempting other recovery methods more than likely exhausted the list of repairs.  The IT services engineer with whom I was communicating also talked with several other engineers and technicians and all were stumped.  The old router has been disposed by recycling.  I no longer have possession. I still have tepidation concerning updating the firmware in this unit.  After all, having to spend about $400 in three years to end up with one quality router is alittle more than my budget could take. 

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 5 of 8
Miles49
Aspirant

I just love the way you people work so hard to make the problem the users fault.  I except that I may have screwed up the update somehow, but I called the Customer Service Number posted on Netgear.com and talked to one of your support engineers.  On a hardwar failure, I always go to the manufacturer first even if it costs me.

Message 6 of 8

@Miles49 wrote:

....I called the Customer Service Number posted on Netgear.com and talked to one of your support engineers.

Strange. Netgear doesn't post any numbers that I have seen.

It would be nice to be able to pass them on.

Users usually have to go through a convoluted process that starts at MyNetgear.

Message 7 of 8
Miles49
Aspirant

Here is my Your Support Case #41552446

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation