Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 can not login to router

xbeaus
Aspirant

R7000 can not login to router

Bought it used. WiFi works but I can not login to routerlogin.net. can't reset password either. Continue is greyed out. I have tried factory reset twice. 30-30-30 reset. On my old router (older Netgear) I could login to Netgear genie. This one I can't. Verified ip address as well by using cmd prompt. What am I missing?
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

Re: R7000 can not login to router

@xbeaus wrote:

The Modem I just purchased is a Netgear CM700.

That's good, a basic cable modem. No built-in router to complicate things.

@xbeaus wrote:

Investigating online shows that they are in fact newer on the market. 

If you mean the R7000P, don't worry. What you have is fine. Unless you have fancy needs, it should do what you want.

@xbeaus wrote:

Anyway - I asked the guy if he ever changed the IP address of the router and he wasn't aware that he did.  It sat on a shelf for most of it's life according to the guy. 

If it is second hand, there is a good chance that the router has some settings in there from the original owner.

I doubt if they bothered to clear those out, so it is a good idea to do a factory reset on the thing and set it up from scratch.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Don't worry, it isn't complicated, and I doubt if you will have done much to tweak it for your needs. And you already know how to set it up. You've done it already.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> Bought it used. [...]

And connected it to what, how?

> [...] WiFi works but I can not login to routerlogin.net. can't reset
> password either. [...]

"can not" or "can't" is not a useful problem description.  It does
not say what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.
As usual, showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results
(error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

> [...] I have tried factory reset twice. [...]

How, exactly?  LED indicators?

> [...] On my old router (older Netgear) [...]

Not a very detailed description of anything.

> [...] Verified ip address as well by using cmd prompt. [...]

Whose "ip address"?  It's nice that you're happy, but, again,
exhibiting the actual evidence would be more helpful than announcing
your conclusion.

Message 2 of 11
xbeaus
Aspirant

Connected to a Netgear cable modem. Followed user manual instructions and hooked my laptop to the router.

I found the 30-30-30 reset instructions on the forum. That is how I reset it.

I have internet so I went to the cmd prompt and pinged 192.168.1.1. before that I typed in ipconfig to verify the default gateway was 192.168.1.1.

When I try to login to router login.net I can't access it by using admin for the username and password for the password. That is where I am stuck.

Message 3 of 11

@xbeaus wrote:
Connected to a Netgear cable modem. Followed user manual instructions and hooked my laptop to the router.

Did you reboot the network in the expected order?

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 4 of 11
xbeaus
Aspirant

I did not do it exactly like that. I will give that a try. Thanks for your help.

I left the modem plugged in. I did the 30-30-30 reset with the modem plugged in.  Perhaps I didn't do it exactly this way so it's worth a shot!

Message 5 of 11
xbeaus
Aspirant

And thanks for not making me feel like an idiot and proposing a solution to try out.  Not sure what I said to bother the other guy but dang!  ruthless lol

Message 6 of 11

A lot of people miss that one. It is in all the the "quick start guides". But who remembers those when they have had the device working for months?

As I understand it, the logic is that these things look at each other to see what the settings need to be. So if the modem is used to playing with an earlier router there's a chance that one or other of them will get confused.

It is just easier to start with a clean slate.

No guarantee that it will bail you out – there could something else going on – but it is worth a try.

The 30:30:30 thing – the recovery reset – isn't usually needed. Only when the regular reset fails or if the firmware is scrambled, or when Netgear wants you to perform arcane tricks with beta hardware.

Message 7 of 11

@xbeaus wrote:

Not sure what I said to bother the other guy but dang! 

Some people just walk around with a whole chip shop on their shoulders and seem determined to offend as many people as possible. I don't get it either.

Message 8 of 11
xbeaus
Aspirant

The Modem I picked up I just purchased from Amazon.  My ISP said I should look for something with a DOCSIS 3.0 so I did just that. The old modem was about 9+ years old.  The Modem I just purchased is a Netgear CM700.

I found a Netgear Nighthawk R7000/AC1900 on Facebook marketplace. Came with the power cable and the ethernet cable and that's it.  It appears to be quite new and the guy said it's under a year old.  Investigating online shows that they are in fact newer on the market. 

Anyway - I asked the guy if he ever changed the IP address of the router and he wasn't aware that he did.  It sat on a shelf for most of it's life according to the guy. 

Right now I have great internet connection etc. but I would like to be able to get in and change password etc. set parameters.  I am learning more about this as I typically do not do this type of thing. Very novice at networking.  The help is greatly appreciated and when I get home tonight and try the reset as mentioned above I will let you know if it works. 🙂

Message 9 of 11

@xbeaus wrote:

The Modem I just purchased is a Netgear CM700.

That's good, a basic cable modem. No built-in router to complicate things.

@xbeaus wrote:

Investigating online shows that they are in fact newer on the market. 

If you mean the R7000P, don't worry. What you have is fine. Unless you have fancy needs, it should do what you want.

@xbeaus wrote:

If it is second hand, there is a good chance that the router has some settings in there from the original owner.

I doubt if they bothered to clear those out, so it is a good idea to do a factory reset on the thing and set it up from scratch.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Don't worry, it isn't complicated, and I doubt if you will have done much to tweak it for your needs. And you already know how to set it up. You've done it already.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

Message 10 of 11
xbeaus
Aspirant

All good! I was able to reset it and back in factory settings!
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7