Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 dropping wired more and more frequently over the year, is it dying?

nethawkuser
Tutor

R7000 dropping wired more and more frequently over the year, is it dying?

Had this router for quite a while and working really well. Been using 1.0.9.42 for a long time without any issues. But maybe a year ago it first started to slow down. Speed tests show 100-150mpbs when usually I get 900+mbps (1Gbps wired). Rebooting the router fixes it temporarily before it does it again after a few weeks. Then it started to drop internet. The network icon at the bottom keeps switching between disconnected and connected. Again it's fixed after a restart. But it happens more and more often. Now I have to restart it every other day. I tried factory reset but it's the same effect as a restart.

This is getting worse and is it kicking the bucket or anything else I can try? Thanks.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 dropping wired more and more frequently over the year, is it dying?

You could see if the power supply is going bad. they're a challenge as they'll give the correct voltage until under a load. 

If you have a different power supply with same voltage and polarity, you could try it. The amperage can be different but it still needs to be at least as much as the original. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You could see if the power supply is going bad. they're a challenge as they'll give the correct voltage until under a load. 

If you have a different power supply with same voltage and polarity, you could try it. The amperage can be different but it still needs to be at least as much as the original. 

Message 2 of 7
nethawkuser
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try a different power outlet and see if the problem persists. Will something like this work if the adapter is indeed bad?

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

If the power supply is indeed the issue, sure. 

If its not, its a bit of $ down the drain that you could have saved for an upgrade. 

I usually tell people to look around at their current device. You'd be surprised how many use the same voltage/barrel sizes. its just to make sure it has enough amps

Message 4 of 7

@plemans wrote:

You'd be surprised how many use the same voltage/barrel sizes. its just to make sure it has enough amps

You can't repeat this too often. Anyone who has been buying electronic stuff for more than a few years will have a box of redundant adapters.

It doesn't even have to be the same sort of device. I have used "power bricks" for USB drives to run routers, for example. They use the same sort of electricity.

Message 5 of 7
nethawkuser
Tutor

Hey so it's been a week and I'm happy to report that my router has been very stable ever since I've switched to a different socket. The fact that you're able to identify the cause so quick really shows how good you are. Really appreciate your help! Glad I asked here.

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

glad you got it back up and running!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7