Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 in Bridge mode

jfg2
Aspirant

R7000 in Bridge mode

Hello
I am trying to setup my Nighthawk R7000 ac1900 in bridge mode, but I am running into some issues.
Here is my setup: Arris TG4482A Gateway -wifi->  R7000 Router(bridge)  -ethernet-> Computer
I already updated my R7000 with the latest firmware update (1.0.11.136).

I went through these steps:

https://kb.netgear.com/24105/What-is-wireless-bridge-mode-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-NETGEAR-route...

It seems to work at first,also getting some good speed,  then after maybe 30sec-1min, it stops working.

I can connect to the router (bridge) from the computer, but cannot see anything really (it keeps loading).

Is there any settings I should be changing either in the Modem or the bridged router?

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
jfg2
Aspirant

Re: R7000 in Bridge mode

I forgot to add that it seems to mess with the Gateway, wifi stops working, cable tv stops working , my Lan setup kept working though.
The gateway needs a reboot once it seems in that state.
Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distance in between the ISP router and the R7000? 

What channels are you using on the ISP router? 

5Ghz? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser.

Message 3 of 12
jfg2
Aspirant

Hello

The distance is pretty short. (6 meters maybe) Also tried with both of them next to each other as a test.

I was using the 5Ghz signal to get the fastest signal possible, and the channel is "automatically"  managed (and its set to channel 44 at the moment, signal seems to be pretty good)

I did try a Factory Reset after the latest FW update, and did try a few installs at different times (after the router was disconnected for a few days) all on a wired PC, but it still gives me the same thing.

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll see if I can produce this as well. I think I saw think on mine and couldn't get time to troubleshoot it more. 

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, so i got some time to try this with mine. 

FW is v.126 on the R7000. I think I downgraded it due to troubleshooting this before. 

However I'm using a different router this time. RAXE500-5G SSID with Smart Connect disabled, manual channel 48 and Up to 2100Mbps on wireless speed on 5Ghz. WPA2 and AES only. Mixed WPA2/WPA3 doesnt' work for R series routers in bridge mode. 

R7000 wireless bridge mode set to 5Ghz and the SSID name and WPA2 security PW.

Using static IP address and DNS configuration on the R7000 bridge mode.

Been working thus far.

R7000BridgeMode2RAXE500SeparateSSIDConfig.pngR7000BridgeMode2RAXE500UpTime.png

I'll let this run this week and post back if I notice anything.

I also have one of these cooling from under the R7000 as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Cooling-Receiver-Playstation-Computer/dp/B08ZSJFNMS

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

R7000 seems stable in wireless bridge mode. 

1Day+ uptime:

R7000BridgeMode1DayUpTimeWithRAXE500.png

I guess I'll try a FW update to latest version and see. 

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, loaded v.136 FW file on to R7000 while in bridge mode. It came back to ready and working. 

I powered it OFF for 30 seconds then back ON. Still going:

R7000BridgeMode0DayUpTimeWithRAXE500_FWv136.png

Will monitor.

Message 8 of 12
jfg2
Aspirant

Thank you for trying all those tests!
I wanted to change my channel, but it looks like its not an option on my gateway anymore…(thanks to a sneaky firmware update on their end..)

I downgraded the firmware to v126 to see if it helped, no luck.
Is there any settings I would need to do on my gateway part maybe?

Also, when re-doing a “fresh” install, comparing to your “status”, it said that the DHCP Client was still On, i thought it would automatically go off once its in bridge mode no?

I am pretty much a beginner in those kind of things, thank you for your help!
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

So after I upgraded to v.136, I came to find my one wired PC connected to the R7000 in bridge mode had no internet. 

I found the I could still access the web UI and debug page. 

R7000BridgeModeFail_V136_NotConnected1.png

Connection rate reports zero:

R7000BridgeModeFail_V136_NotConnected2.png

The RAXE500 reported it being a connected device but no IP address. I saw this even when the R7000 was working. Probably the static IP set instead of Dynamic. 

RAXE500R7000Bridge.png

Seem to fail in about 19 hours:

R7000BridgeModeFail_V136_19HoursDebugPage.png

I did a power cycle on the R7000 and it came back to ready. I noticed the connection rate isn't displayed properly:

R7000BridgeModeFailedAfterReboot_v136.png

Should be 1300.

So after the R7000 was power cycled, I re-loaded v.126 back on the router and did another power cycle. It may not be stable either. After it was back online, I had to switch my one wired PC to a different router and connection to check something there. It was disabled from the router using the ethernet enable or disable option. It was disabled for about 30 minutes when I came back to enable the connection with the R7000 bridge mode and the PC didn't get internet. I logged into the R7000 and found the Internet status was Disconnected again. I power cycled the R7000 and it's now back. I need to try a factory reset and setup from scratch to see if this cleares this behavior or not. Going to give this 1 hour with the PC connected to see if the R7000 stop working. IF not, then FR. Wondering if something stops working if nothing is connected or there is no internet traffic happening. 

As of now 1300Mpbs is seen and DHCP reports being OFF with v.126 loaded:

R7000BridgeMode2RAXE500SeparateSSIDConfig2.png

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@jfg2  wrote:
Thank you for trying all those tests!
I wanted to change my channel, but it looks like its not an option on my gateway anymore…(thanks to a sneaky firmware update on their end..)
Can you ask the ISP to change the channels? Try 40 or 48 or 149 on the ISP modem

I downgraded the firmware to v126 to see if it helped, no luck.
Did you factory reset and setup from scratch after you installed the FW? 

Is there any settings I would need to do on my gateway part maybe?
Be sure any Smart Connect is disabled.

Also, when re-doing a “fresh” install, comparing to your “status”, it said that the DHCP Client was still On, i thought it would automatically go off once its in bridge mode no?

I am pretty much a beginner in those kind of things, thank you for your help!>

If the FW isn't stable, the router is of age now and not sure if NG will do anything to fix it. 

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Just to let you know I've left my R7000 up over the weekend. Been almost 4 days, still up and running good in brige mode. FW v.126 seems to be the most stable. Not sure what's wrong with v.13x versions. 

R7000BridgeMinus4DaysUpTime.png

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series