Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000P Losing Internet on 5GHz

cpurick
Tutor

R7000P Losing Internet on 5GHz

Nearly daily, my 5GHz devices switch to "Connected, no internet".  2.4GHz devices continue to work. I can restart the router, but I can also reconnect to 5GHz manually from devices after a number of tries. No errors in the router logs.

I use the same 5GHz SSID and password from the router and two extenders. One is a wired LinkSys (an ethernet run to the router), and the other is a wireless EX7500. I do not have a true mesh, but I only have 300Mbit internet service so I am not afraid of the extra hops cutting performance from distant corners of my house. Channel selection and bandwidth are as open and auto as I can make them, but I don't think the LinkSys has the high channels.

Is there any reason this environment would take down the 5GHz link? I think I understand the theoretical performance costs of this config, but I was not expecting the band to go down. A little experimenting suggests the router works fine if the other 5GHz sources are on different SSIDs. I also did not see any improvement by trying to manually manage 5GHz channels.

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000P Losing Internet on 5GHz

have you noticed if its only devices connected to the R7000P?
or what router/extender do they have issues connecting to specifically? 

What firmware is on the R7000P

And on the EX7500?

Message 2 of 5
cpurick
Tutor

I have not tried connecting to 5GHz from the far corners of the house, but I will try that next time it happens.

The firmware on the R7000P is V1.3.1.64_10.1.36

Message 3 of 5
cpurick
Tutor

I did see that the firmware update from the router wasn't working, so I downloaded and flashed the latest:

V1.3.2.134_10.1.66

We'll see if that does anything.

Message 4 of 5

@cpurick wrote:

I did see that the firmware update from the router wasn't working, so I downloaded and flashed the latest:

V1.3.2.134_10.1.66

That's a new one that came out in the past week or so.

It seems to have fixed a strange "hang up" that I used to see when using a Firestick over Powerline.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7