Aspirant

R900 slower wired speed

Hi Folks,

Setup:

CM1000 Modem-->R9000 Nighthawk router

R9000 has QoS disabled, running firware V1.0.5.26

400Mbps internet service

Problem:

On the R9000, I am getting download speeds of 470+ Mbps when using the speedtest mechanism.  This aligns with my Internet plan, yet when I connect via CAT6 directly to the router, I am getting ~200 Mbps (about half like other posts has mentioned).  This observed speed has been replicated on two different machines.

This is similar to many other posts, and I was curious if there was more recent information on the solution, including firmware (before I attempt previous versions).  Is firmware truly the cause here, or is there some configuration interfering?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: R900 slower wired speed

A quick thing to try is a factory reset and reinstall. don't install using a backup configuration and make sure to leave qos, parental controls, access controls, and traffic monitoring off. 

Message 2 of 6
smugcloud
Aspirant

Thanks @plemans, is this to see if a configuration is perhaps the problem?  I do have some reserved addresses I'd like to keep, and can back that up, and the config if this doesn't work. 

Are there other configs to check first, before going through this?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Things to check try first? 

1. the cable. 

2. disable all those services I mentioned and reboot the router. Sometimes this fixes it. 

Message 4 of 6
smugcloud
Aspirant

Thanks.  I should have mentioned that in the original post.  So far I have tried:

1. Unique cables, and machines, directly conected to the router (same problem)
  2. Disabling QoS, parental controls, traffic meter (same problem)
  3. Restoring the factory settings (as @plemans suggested) (same problem)
  4. I have rebooted several times recently after a speed increase from my Ineternet provider, and firmware updates to the router (same problem)
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Also make sure access control is disabled. 

You can always try downgrading a version with the factory reset again. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7