Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router Losses Internet at Weekend, and SSID broadcast at other times

NewInnMan
Aspirant

Router Losses Internet at Weekend, and SSID broadcast at other times

Three issues:

1. Wireless router disconnects from internet from time to time, but particularly frequently at the weekends ( 4 or more time per hour).  Had to reboot router 4 times on Sunday, 2 times on Saturday and Firday evening.

2. Wireless router losses SSID broadcast and wired ethernet connections when a Netgear WiFi extender is added wirelessly, or Nest Camera signals an event.

3. Wireless SSID is broadcast but wireless devices cannot connect because "password is incorrect", even though it is not and all devices were previously connected.  

Tried so far.

1. Replaced old Netgear router with a brand new router two weeks ago (NightHawk D7000 v2).  All three problems persist.

2. Had BT perform line tests at the CO (or Telephone Exchange) and at the home.  No issues found on the line.

3. Had BT replace Master Socket.  Connecting Wireless Router directly to Master Socket via DSL filter.

4. Disabled 5GHz band, leaving only 2.4GHz open

5. Disconnected all devices from the router, including WiFi extenders, and then re-introduced a device everyday.

6. Set 2.4GHz SSID to channel 11

Set-Up:

x4 iPhones wireless

x2 XBOXOne wireless

x2 Alexa Dots wireless

x1 iPad wireless

x2 Laptops wireless

x2 Sky STB's Wireless

x2 TV's Wireless

x3 Apple TV's wireless

x1 iMac wireless

x1 Nest Cam wireless

x1 Nest Thermostat wireless

x2 Smart TV's wireless

x1 Philips Hue Bridge wired

x2 Dyson Cooling Towers wireless

x1 Wemo Plug wireless

x1 no clue what is going on!!! All help appreciated

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
NewInnMan
Aspirant

Re: Router Losses Internet at Weekend, and SSID broadcast at other times

Solved this problem with the help of the Netgear Team.

1.  Full factory reset.   This seemed to stop the drop out of the SSID broadcast.  But the internet connection kept droppiing intermittently.  The Internet light on the router flashed orange/white/orange/white on and on.  This seuqence isn't shown in the user manual.

So,

2.  We increased the MTU value to 1500.  www.routerlogin.net > Advanced > Set Up > WAN Set Up > "MTU Size (in Bytes)" > Enter: 1500

48 hours later, and over the weekend, we have an un-interrupted service.

View solution in original post

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 4

All Replies
microchip8
Master

I think you're choking the router with all the wifi devices you connect at once. If possible, move stationary devices like TVs/BD players to wired connections

Message 2 of 4
NewInnMan
Aspirant

I have also thought that, but ruled it out.

1.  Forgot to mention that with the old router, I had 4 of those devices wired via RJ45 rather than wireless, and still had the same issues. 

2. The instruction manual says that this router can handle 136 clients, 68 per SSID.  Not connecting near this number.

3. Not all of the devices are turned on / in the house / or streaming data at the same time.  I would estiamte that between 6 and 10 are pulling user demanded data.  

4.  Even if I have 6 devices connected to the D7000, and have some of the others off-loaded to the WiFi extender, I have the problem that the SSID braodcasts shut down.  I would not expect that configuration to bring down a $200 router. 

Message 3 of 4
NewInnMan
Aspirant

Solved this problem with the help of the Netgear Team.

1.  Full factory reset.   This seemed to stop the drop out of the SSID broadcast.  But the internet connection kept droppiing intermittently.  The Internet light on the router flashed orange/white/orange/white on and on.  This seuqence isn't shown in the user manual.

So,

2.  We increased the MTU value to 1500.  www.routerlogin.net > Advanced > Set Up > WAN Set Up > "MTU Size (in Bytes)" > Enter: 1500

48 hours later, and over the weekend, we have an un-interrupted service.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7