Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router won’t connect

Ccsnyder
Aspirant

Router won’t connect

Recently purchased this new router.  I have a line of site antenna for internet provider.  When I plug in new router all lights come on at first the only light that remains on is the on light 2.4 light not lit.  I have disconnected the antenna. Powered it offf and back on.  Powered off router and antenna. Still doesn’t work. I have plugged old router and it works.  Does this router work with little ne of site antenna.

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: Router won’t connect

@Ccsnyder wrote:

Line of sight is for rural communities that do not have cable available.   There is an antenna installed on roof pointed to the "satelite" that is set up on either a water tower/grain elevator etc.   

What is on the receiving end of your antenna? You say "antenna receiver". What is it?

A router has to plug into something that has a LAN socket. This usually means a modem that connects to the telephone network, a cable connection, or a terminal of some sort that goes out to the fibre optic network.

In your case, it is probably the antenna receiver. It might help to tell people what it is and if it has the usual LAN socket. Is it something that you can reboot (power cycle)?

Likewise the old router. Can you say what that is?

That might give some clues as to the compatibility with the R6900P.

@Ccsnyder wrote:

Turned on only Antenna, modem and plugged in router... once  all lights light up then the light indicating that the router is on stays lit.   The LED light for 2.4 is not on.  

The first LEDs to worry about are the power LED. The check the Internet LED. It should be orange until it connects to the Internet, when it will turn white.

The wifi LED should be on, even when there is no Internet connection. Have you pressed the wifi switch?

If the wifi LEDs don't come on, I smell a dud router.

There is support for the R6900P, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R6900P | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

@Ccsnyder wrote:

Today I am going to go into "town" and try to troubleshoot with a someone that has a cable modem... to see if the new NetGear router will work with a cable modem...

Good  move. I was going to suggest that it might be a defective router. This will let you check that.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

@Ccsnyder wrote:

Recently purchased this new router.  I have a line of site antenna for internet provider.  When I plug in new router all lights come on at first the only light that remains on is the on light 2.4 light not lit.  I have disconnected the antenna. Powered it offf and back on.  Powered off router and antenna. Still doesn’t work. I have plugged old router and it works.  Does this router work with little ne of site antenna.

What did you have before? It surely was 'just a router'?

Read the manual. You plug in your ISP's modem output to your WAN input of your router.

Did you have a MOBILE HOTSPOT before or something like that?

Message 2 of 8
Ccsnyder
Aspirant

I am replacing an existing router.   Plug it in and should work.  But doesn’t.

Message 3 of 8

@Ccsnyder wrote:

Plug it in and should work. 

No. You need to reboot the whole network in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

What is the modem at the front of this router?

I am puzzled by the reference to "I have a line of site antenna for Internet provider".

Message 4 of 8
IrvSp
Master

@Ccsnyder wrote:

I am replacing an existing router.   Plug it in and should work.  But doesn’t.

Are you being difficult on purpose. No specific information posted?

You can't even answer a SIMPLE question, "What did you have before? It surely was 'just a router'?"

Not a description what the 'old router' was and what this meant, "Does this router work with little ne of site antenna."?

Nothing anyone could go on at all.

Now this,"I am replacing an existing router.   Plug it in and should work.  But doesn’t."?

Nothing describing exact steps you took and how you determined it doesn't work? What errors did you get? What LED's are on? Who is connected to what and how?

If you really want help you'll need to explain stuff in detail. No one here can SEE what you see or know what you did?

Message 5 of 8
Ccsnyder
Aspirant

Thank you for your suggestions regarding the "sequence" of starting the router.  I have followed those instructions and still I do not get the "amber" light on router... Per the documentation that I received with the new router.  Also using the NetGear app it does not connect.    

Line of sight is for rural communities that do not have cable available.   There is an antenna installed on roof pointed to the "satelite" that is set up on either a water tower/grain elevator etc.   I have has this internet provider for several years.  They have been helping me troubleshoot an issue I had with old router... The recommendation was to get a new router.   

My old router still works (with issues) but does connect.  

Other steps I have tried: 

Replace cable between router and antenna receiver (I'll call that a modem".   

Turned off all of the equipment.. Antenna, modem, routers and all computers..

Turned on only Antenna, modem and plugged in router... once  all lights light up then the light indicating that the router is on stays lit.   The LED light for 2.4 is not on.  

Since this did not work I have my old router plugged in and I have wireless.. 

I hope that information helps.  Today I am going to go into "town" and try to troubleshoot with a someone that has a cable modem... to see if the new NetGear router will work with a cable modem...

Message 6 of 8

@Ccsnyder wrote:

Line of sight is for rural communities that do not have cable available.   There is an antenna installed on roof pointed to the "satelite" that is set up on either a water tower/grain elevator etc.   

What is on the receiving end of your antenna? You say "antenna receiver". What is it?

A router has to plug into something that has a LAN socket. This usually means a modem that connects to the telephone network, a cable connection, or a terminal of some sort that goes out to the fibre optic network.

In your case, it is probably the antenna receiver. It might help to tell people what it is and if it has the usual LAN socket. Is it something that you can reboot (power cycle)?

Likewise the old router. Can you say what that is?

That might give some clues as to the compatibility with the R6900P.

@Ccsnyder wrote:

The first LEDs to worry about are the power LED. The check the Internet LED. It should be orange until it connects to the Internet, when it will turn white.

The wifi LED should be on, even when there is no Internet connection. Have you pressed the wifi switch?

If the wifi LEDs don't come on, I smell a dud router.

There is support for the R6900P, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R6900P | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

@Ccsnyder wrote:

Today I am going to go into "town" and try to troubleshoot with a someone that has a cable modem... to see if the new NetGear router will work with a cable modem...

Good  move. I was going to suggest that it might be a defective router. This will let you check that.

Message 7 of 8
Ccsnyder
Aspirant

thank you for your suggestions.  I was able to get the support documentation provided by NetGear for the router.  The additional information was very helpful... instead of the "flyer" that was included with the router.

Thanks again     

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7