Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow Wifi Speeds Nighthawk x10

HanYol0
Aspirant

Slow Wifi Speeds Nighthawk x10

Just upgraded my router from the Asus RT-AC68U which was giving me my rated speed through time warner wired or wireless and now with this X10 i just set up today and installed newest FW as advised to, im only pulling in 50-60 down wireless but 330 down wired (normal speed). 

-This is both on 2.4 and 5ghz

-I disabled my 60g AP

-reboot of router and modem which is the Arris SB6190

So far, dissapointed with the cost to performance of this router...ive check advanced setup for any limiting options enabled but nothing. 

any ideas? not seeing any crossover talk from other routers in my area.

I upgraded to this just for sh*ts and giggles from black friday deal

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: Slow Wifi Speeds Nighthawk x10

Hi HanYol0,

As long as the modem provides the correct speed from your ISP, then the router should be able to work fine.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 17

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?

Did you perform a factory reset after the FW update and set up from scratch?

What wireless modes are you using? 

Try Single mode N on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz with WPA2 and AES only.

What client device are you using to test wireless speeds?

Were you seeing better results with the Asus router using same device?

FYI regarding your SB6190:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31079834-ALL-SB6190-is-a-terrible-modem-Intel-Puma-6-MaxLinear-mis...

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion

Message 2 of 17
HanYol0
Aspirant

I have time warner oceanic here in HI and my speeds are 300+ down and 20 up.  I have not performed a factory reset after initial FW update no. Currently on the 5ghz link and both the 2.4 and 5ghz give me same download speed over wifi but as soon as i connect directly to router i get around 350 down and 22 up. 

Currently testing speeds with speakeasy and speedtest. My speed results with the asus router were 300+ down and 20 up as normal. 

Message 3 of 17
HanYol0
Aspirant

I have an SB6183 here as well and just hooked it up along with performing a factory restet on router and still <30mb down speed on wifi:(

where do i find single mode N for 2.4 and 5 please?

Message 4 of 17
HanYol0
Aspirant

So i changed the channel from auto on 2.4ghz to 2 and 6 each with speedtests in between and was about to get close to 200 down. Being on auto, is the limiting factor here interferance? 2 and 6 have to work together to provide my speed?

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Set WPA2 and AES only with Speed up to 347Mbs and channel 11 then test on 2.4Ghz. I presume you don't have a client that can connect at 800Mb on 2.4Ghz, if not then leave at 347Mbs. 

Message 6 of 17
HanYol0
Aspirant

Thanks, i will try this out tom when i get home and follow up.

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 17
HanYol0
Aspirant

So after doing a little rearranging with this router and modem im unable to get above 100mb down with either direct connection or wireless. I tried setting 2.4 t0 387 and channel 11 but no improvement. I've done the following: 

Restored factory settings on router

replaced cat 5 cable from router to desktop

tried diff ports on router

Using a long coax cable i just bought to help with the new location. Cable is about 30 feet long..shouldnt be the issue? ohms out fine. 

from the modem directly to the computer i get the same low speed. Called up oceanic and they said everything looks fine with no issues showing up. Had them do a remote restart of my connection and same result. 

ugh, i thought moving to this new r9000 would be a breeze. 

Message 9 of 17
HanYol0
Aspirant

Could this latest FW be the issue?

Message 10 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Your wired speeds are normal, correct? So I don't understand why you spent so much time playing with cables.

@HanYol0 wrote:

Could this latest FW be the issue?

First try the factory reset suggested earlier.

If that doesn't help, then try downgrading to the earlier FW, resetting again, and then retesting the speed.

Message 11 of 17
HanYol0
Aspirant

Stephen,

That was the original problem but now I can't get above 100mbs down through a wired connection. This is with original router and r9000. Swapped sb6190 to 6183 thinking it was the culprit and nothing changed. Time Warner did checks on their end for signals and said everything was fine.

Tech coming out Tuesday now but I feel like something weird is going on. I had good down speed with original Asus router and sb6183 before deciding to upgrade two weeks ago:(
Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have swapped modems and tested a different router, then I might presume there maybe an issue with your specific R9000 unit. Might try another one if you have a local store with a refund policy. 

@HanYol0 wrote:
Stephen,

That was the original problem but now I can't get above 100mbs down through a wired connection. This is with original router and r9000. Swapped sb6190 to 6183 thinking it was the culprit and nothing changed. Time Warner did checks on their end for signals and said everything was fine.

Tech coming out Tuesday now but I feel like something weird is going on. I had good down speed with original Asus router and sb6183 before deciding to upgrade two weeks ago:(

Message 13 of 17
JamesGL
Master

Hi HanYol0,

If you connect the computer directly to your modem will you get the appropriate speed?

Message 14 of 17
JamesGL
Master

Hi HanYol0,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 15 of 17
HanYol0
Aspirant

So I had time Warner come out since I couldn't get the 300 down speed direct through modem and wireless. They swapped out between my two modems sb6183 and 6190 and then put their modem on and speeds were erratic at first but then hit 320ish.

So now on 5ghz I can hit above 320ish most of the time.. Wondering if maybe my ISP was secretly limiting my bandwidth..

Are there any settings on this r9000 recommended to be left off?
Message 16 of 17
JamesGL
Master

Hi HanYol0,

As long as the modem provides the correct speed from your ISP, then the router should be able to work fine.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7