Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow web interface, adding new wifi devices causes wifi to go down and more

Grant888
Aspirant

Slow web interface, adding new wifi devices causes wifi to go down and more

Hi All,

This is  my network setup:

I have a surfboard modem feeding this R7500 internet.  One computer is connected wired and there are about 3 computers, an Nvidia Shield and 2 cellphones connected wirelessly.

Here are my issues:

The router's web interface is super slow.  After entering the address and signing into the router it takes forever to nagivate the menu.  It's reminiscent of the old 56k modem days taking forever to load pages.  The pages also do not always load.  Sometimes they'll half load and I'll get a screwed up looking website other times it just times out and fails to load completely.

Whenever I add a new device to the wifi there's a good chance, I'd say about 40% of the time that it will cause something to happen to the router and the wifi will go down for all devices on it.  This made setup a pain in the butt.

I'm also having issues with the Nvidia Shield.  For those who may not know what it is, it's a device that hooks up to your tv and like most of those devices allows for netflix and such, however the problem I'm having with it is streaming games from my main PC.  In my living room it can't do it, it constantly loses connection when I'm trying to do it.  However if I move it to another room it seems to work ok.  The funny thing is, the living room is closer to the router than my other room.  The house isn't that large, it's 2000 sqft and the router is pretty centrally located.

At first I thought it was a dud, I brought back the R7000 and also decided to upgrade to the R7500.  Both had exact same issues.  I have only had the issues with the shield with the R7500 though as I didn't have the shield when I tried the R7000.

When the router is working well it's great, but when I am trying to do stuff like adding devices or navigating the menus inside it I get the above issues.  Anyone have any suggestions?  These products have been really disappointing.  I thought I was buying a premium product, my old 50 dollar router performed more smoothly.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Grant888
Aspirant

Re: Slow web interface, adding new wifi devices causes wifi to go down and more

So it was the router, I replaced it with an Asus RT-AC3100 and all my problems went away.

Solution: Don't buy netgear routers.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Did you experience a slow web interface with both the R7000 and the R7500? If so, I'm inclined to think that the problem is not the routers.

Does the slow web interface happen with the wired computer, with wireless devices or both?

Have you tried changing the Wi-Fi channel? Maybe the one you are using is congested.

As for your living room, being closer to the router than the other room doesn't always guarantee a better signal. Wi-Fi signals are highly affected by walls and different construction materials. If your living room is on the other side of a load-bearing, concrete wall from the router, the signal could easily be worse than from the other room.
Message 2 of 6
Grant888
Aspirant

Yes experienced slow interface on both R7000 and R7500.

Yes, slow interface on wired and wireless.

Changed the wifi channel already.  The only thing that improved was that now my Amazon Firestick is actually useable.

Message 3 of 6
TheEther
Guru

If you see the problem with both routers, then the problem is more likely to be something on your computer.  Are you using any kind of anti-virus software, like Kaspersky, Symantec or Norton?

Message 4 of 6
Grant888
Aspirant

I use multiple computers and devices.  We even replaced my wife's computer (which is the ethernet connected one) last week and it has the same issue (granted I can't try this on the R7000 anymore since I don't have it).  We use Windows Defender, no norton or anything.  I've also reformatted my main computer once and the problem has always been there.  Even things like the cell phones and the Nviida Shield which have no antivirus, just android on them, have connection issues.

When I hook up this old linksys router I have it works great wired and wireless.  The only reason I don't use it is because it's not as powerful and can't cover the whole house properly.  I will admit though, this house does seem bad for wifi as the old Linksys router used to be able to cover my old apartment.

Message 5 of 6
Grant888
Aspirant

So it was the router, I replaced it with an Asus RT-AC3100 and all my problems went away.

Solution: Don't buy netgear routers.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7