Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Smart Wifi Router R7000 - Laptop Installation

franker2407
Aspirant

Smart Wifi Router R7000 - Laptop Installation

I purchased a new laptop. The netgear app is working on my cell phone. However, when I select the Netgear network on my laptop, it does not recognize my password (PW). I tried both the PW that came with my Netgear router and the PW that I replaced the original PW.  I'm stuck as to how to get my wifi login to accept either of those 2 PWs. TIW                                                    

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: Smart Wifi Router R7000 - Laptop Installation

You have put yourself into what they call a double NAT situation.  Not good.  Read up on it here:

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-double-NAT-and-why-is-it-bad 

The easiest solution is to access your router configuration and change the operating mode from router to wired access point.  Then you can connect your router to your ONT via Ethernet cable.  There are other options you can research later.

Be careful not to set your new router too physically close to the ONT as the Wi-Fi signals will interfere.   Eight to ten feet is good if you can get it for separation.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

New laptop, Windows or Mac?

If Windows, which version, 10 or 11?

Message 2 of 11
franker2407
Aspirant

Kitsap, I have Windows version 11. Thanks for your response. If it helps, it is an HP Envy laptop.

Message 3 of 11
Kitsap
Master

Go to Settings -> Network & Internet -> Status -> Properties.  Verify your Network profile is classified as Private.  If not, change it to private.  Recommend you restart your computer before you try to reconnect.

The default network classification for Windows 11 is public.  This usually means no user names and passwords.

Message 4 of 11
franker2407
Aspirant

Switched from public to private. Still doesn't recognize the PW. Any other suggestions. I tried to enroll in Netgear's extended warranty coverage, but the email it was supposed to send never arrived. Very frustrating.

Message 5 of 11
franker2407
Aspirant

Switched from public to private. Still doesn't recognize the PW. Any other suggestions. I tried to enroll in Netgear's extended warranty coverage, but the email it was supposed to send never arrived.

Message 6 of 11
Kitsap
Master

Have you connected to Wi-Fi anywhere with this computer?

Go up into the Windows Tools section and try the network troubleshooter.

Message 7 of 11
franker2407
Aspirant

Laptop automatically connects to Verizon Fios Internet. Signal is not the best, which is why I invested in a Netgear router. I tried Windows troubleshooter, and it says it could not ID any problems. Not sure where do go from here.

Message 8 of 11
Kitsap
Master

Trying to get a handle on your hardware configuration.

Internet comes from Verizon Fios fiber with an ONT (Optical Network Terminal) that also is a router and broadcasts Wi-Fi?

A brand name and model number for the ONT would be helpful.

Your new computer will connect to the Fios Wi-Fi but you are not happy with the signal.

Did you connect your new R7000 router direct to the Verizon ONT via Ethernet cable?

Message 9 of 11
franker2407
Aspirant

Yes, on all Qs

Message 10 of 11
Kitsap
Master

You have put yourself into what they call a double NAT situation.  Not good.  Read up on it here:

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-double-NAT-and-why-is-it-bad 

The easiest solution is to access your router configuration and change the operating mode from router to wired access point.  Then you can connect your router to your ONT via Ethernet cable.  There are other options you can research later.

Be careful not to set your new router too physically close to the ONT as the Wi-Fi signals will interfere.   Eight to ten feet is good if you can get it for separation.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7