Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

So I purchased this router and I think I got screwed over. No internet No valid IP Please Help

Yoshi3443
Aspirant

So I purchased this router and I think I got screwed over. No internet No valid IP Please Help

So I purchased this router XR500 and I think I got screwed over.When First turned it on I Had a flashing red ligjt Reset the device a couple time then got a solid red light while having ethernet connected to PC did a troubleshoot by windows10 and also reset the device and now Its at a blinking white like No internet the entire time and When troubleshooting with blink white light I get a error "no valid IP address. also no wireless signal is being detected on any of my devices So I cant update firmware as reccomended for the red light issue that I some how got passed anyone hurd of this issue and what the fix might be. I See theres a couple USB ports on the device can I update firmware by usb?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: So I purchased this router and I think I got screwed over. No internet No valid IP Please Help

What I'd try to do. 

1. disconnect from the xfinity.

2. factory reset the XR. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds

3. hardwire a pc/laptop into the XR after it finishes rebooting from the reset. 

4. try to set it up using the wired in device. You can either use the default 192.168.1.1 or the routerlogin . net address

See if you can connect to it that route. The goal is to first see if the router is working fine. If it is, then we'll get your gateway setup properly

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: So I purchased this router and I think I got screwed over. No internet No valid IP Please Help

Are any of the other lights on? 

What modem/gateway is it connecting to? 

Did you factory reset? (push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while powered on)

You can't update using usb on it but you can push firmware using tftp. I'd check the other detals first before going that route. 

Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

Also, for future issues, try in the forum for your device. DumaOS is a seperate OS and their forum is better suited to helping with it. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-rout...

Message 3 of 11
Yoshi3443
Aspirant

No other light unless I plug in the ethernet cable. 

Factor reseted to get the device from being a solid red/orange power Light to a blinking white light

Roughter Is a Xfinity Technicolor CGM4331COM 

Message 4 of 11
Yoshi3443
Aspirant

Sorry and will do First timer here lol

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

The CGM4331COM is a modem/router combo device. 

It causes a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

when you disconnect the XR from the xfinity device, are you able to log into it and access it?

Message 6 of 11
Yoshi3443
Aspirant

You mean sign in to the wifi or the XR log in. Answer is no to both and using the mobile set up app it couldn't detect the XR at all.. but actually there was a moment that wifi did show up and it was my pc that found a signal from the XR but not on my mobile witch I thought was weird and the wifi network name it was diffrent from what is written on the bottom of the XR netgear22 is what appeared but it should of been netgear62..and the sign in password did not work when attempting to log in.
Message 7 of 11
Yoshi3443
Aspirant

You mean sign in to the wifi or the XR log in. Answer is no to both and using the mobile setup app it couldn't detect the XR at all.. well actually there was a moment that wifi did show up and it was my pc that found a signal from the XR but not on my mobile witch I thought was weird and the wifi network name it was diffrent from what is written on the bottom of the XR netgear22 is what appeared but it should of been netgear62..and the sign in password did not work when attempting to log in. And I am using the Ir code thats on top of XR when prompted to just tried it again with and without it connected to the xfinity.
Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

What I'd try to do. 

1. disconnect from the xfinity.

2. factory reset the XR. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds

3. hardwire a pc/laptop into the XR after it finishes rebooting from the reset. 

4. try to set it up using the wired in device. You can either use the default 192.168.1.1 or the routerlogin . net address

See if you can connect to it that route. The goal is to first see if the router is working fine. If it is, then we'll get your gateway setup properly

Message 9 of 11
Yoshi3443
Aspirant

Sorry I gave up as I still could not connect or access the routers page at all. Plugged into the computer directly and having my xfinity powered off unplugged from the system I couldnt connect throught my phone app and threw my PC. One odd thing is I can only reset by powering off router push hold reset then power on and the router acts as discribed when reseting it, I canot reset it by just simply pressing the reset button and holding it down nothng happens no natter the length its held. It has to be turned off then press hold the reset button then power on and it seems to reset.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the router maybe busted. I'd contact NG support to see if there is a RMA option available to you. 

@Yoshi3443 wrote:

Sorry I gave up as I still could not connect or access the routers page at all. Plugged into the computer directly and having my xfinity powered off unplugged from the system I couldnt connect throught my phone app and threw my PC. One odd thing is I can only reset by powering off router push hold reset then power on and the router acts as discribed when reseting it, I canot reset it by just simply pressing the reset button and holding it down nothng happens no natter the length its held. It has to be turned off then press hold the reset button then power on and it seems to reset.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7