Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Used router (Nighthawk AC2600) will not forget old ethernet network

samtung
Aspirant

Used router (Nighthawk AC2600) will not forget old ethernet network

Hi all, we got a hand-me-down A2600 router from a family member.  I was able to reset it / name it the same as our old router/network.  Our devices were able to hop on to the network just fine.  However, hardline ethernet items still have the old network name.  I don't see anywhere on the Nighthawk app to reset (or even access) the ethernet options.  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 4
Kitsap
Master

Re: Used router (Nighthawk AC2600) will not forget old ethernet network

@samtung wrote:

Hi all, we got a hand-me-down A2600 router from a family member.  I was able to reset it / name it the same as our old router/network.  Our devices were able to hop on to the network just fine.  However, hardline ethernet items still have the old network name.  I don't see anywhere on the Nighthawk app to reset (or even access) the ethernet options.  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance!

If you are referring to a Windows machine, the network name is set in the registry and requires editing of the registry to make a change.  Most Windows users leave the network name as is.  It works just fine.

Message 2 of 4
samtung
Aspirant

Hi, thank you for the reply!  I have a MacBook Pro as my personal machine and my work machine is a Windows machine.  My MacBook Pro is getting internet fine through the ethernet, but it was on the family member's network previously.  My Windows work machine is getting no internet through the ethernet, but is connecting to the wi-fi (which has been renamed/re-passworded to my old network.

Can you point me toward how to set the registry?  Will google around in the meantime.  Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
Kitsap
Master

@samtung wrote:

Hi, thank you for the reply!  I have a MacBook Pro as my personal machine and my work machine is a Windows machine.  My MacBook Pro is getting internet fine through the ethernet, but it was on the family member's network previously.  My Windows work machine is getting no internet through the ethernet, but is connecting to the wi-fi (which has been renamed/re-passworded to my old network.

Can you point me toward how to set the registry?  Will google around in the meantime.  Thank you!

The first option to get it working on the Windows machine would be to go to the Control Panel, view all troubleshooter scripts and run the one for Internet Connections.

In Windows Network & Internet settings, under Status make sure your network profile is set as private and not as public.  Sometimes Windows will sense a new network and set it as public like in a coffee shop or etc.

I will let you and Google work on the rename part in the registry.  The network name can be in several places in the registry.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series