Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Very slow internet speeds R8000

Manfred73
Guide

Very slow internet speeds R8000

Since a week or 2 I get very slow internet speeds when using the R8000. Sometimes the entire connection drops.

I have a 250 Mbps (downstream) and 25 Mbps (upstream) internet connection.

I already had a cable guy over checking the modem and signal, but all looks good.

The modem I have is a Ziggo Connect Box, which is in bridge mode, so the R8000 functions as the router. I noticed I had Qos turned on and read somewhere it is better to turn that off, so I did, and restarted the R8000. This didn't solve anything.

I did a reset of the cable modem/router so that it is no longer in bridge mode, and with that I get the normal speeds and no drops.

Firmware version installed on the R8000 is V1.0.4.66_10.1.75.

What can be wrong?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions
Manfred73
Guide

Re: Very slow internet speeds R8000

Well, in my case I think it was not Armor: when I switched to a new wifi 6 Asus router, the problem was still there. Eventually it turned out to be some application running on my Synology that was draining the internet connection. After tuning the settings of that application, it worked fine again. Strange thing was that it used to work fine before with the previous settings, so I didn't suspect any application causing this.

View solution in original post

Message 24 of 24

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Not all device makers implement bridge mode properly. 

Have you tried using the Ziggo in router mode (disable its wifi) and put the netgear in access point mode? 

Message 2 of 24
Manfred73
Guide

I haven't tried that yet, but I'll give that a try.
Weird thing is that it used to work before.
What if I put my cable modem out if bridge and the netgear with AP activated? Do I still need to make other settings? Can I still use netgear router to block certain ports for an internal IP of my NAS so that it will always go through my VPN? What about DHCP? Is the netgear one my cable modem going to take care of that?
Message 3 of 24
plemans
Guru

many features get disabled in AP mode. But your ISP's gateway many times is running some form of all those services you can change/setup. 

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Message 4 of 24
Manfred73
Guide

Then AP mode is not an option for me, since I bought this netgear router +2 years ago so I could have more control, such as blocking services on a certain IP (which I can't do with my cable modem router).

What I can see from that link, almost everything in the netgear router is disabled, so I don't see the point of still using it.

Message 5 of 24
plemans
Guru

You did a factory reset of the ziggo but did you try doing a reset of the r8000 and then a clean install (not from backup)?

Message 6 of 24
Manfred73
Guide

I did not do factory reset of netgear router. I will give that a try first. And then install to latest firmware?
I also read some posts to use older firmware before Armor was introduced, but then I'm also missing other (security) updates.
Message 7 of 24
Manfred73
Guide

I did a factory reset and I'm now manually configuring all the settings I had before the factory reset (so not from a backup).

However, when I try to forward port 443 to a specific IP of my NAS, I get an error message:

The specified port (s) is / are used by other configurations. Check your configurations for remote management, port forwarding and activation, USB Readyshare, UPnP port mapping table, RIP, and Internet connection type.

I did see the port 443 is set in USB Readyshare. However, I was able to forward port 443 before with the same settings, but that was a long time ago with a much older firmware version.

I did notice I'm still on the latest firmware V1.0.4.66_10.1.75 after the factory reset.

So, why can't I forward port 443 now?

Message 8 of 24
Manfred73
Guide

Unfortunately the factory reset didn't work. It worked fine for one day, but now again slow speeds, sometimes no internet connection at all.

Looks more like a firmware issue to me.

Message 9 of 24

@plemans wrote:

You did a factory reset of the ziggo but did you try doing a reset of the r8000 and then a clean install (not from backup)?

Did you also remember to put the Ziggo Connect Box back into modem only (bridge) mode?

Message 10 of 24
Manfred73
Guide

Yes, it's in bridge mode again.
Message 11 of 24
Manfred73
Guide

What the heck just happened: a spontaneous factory reset??! Yesterday slow connection again, and just now entire connection gone. To my surprise, I noticed the NETGEAR72 wifi SID instead of my own and logging in into the router on 192.168.0.1 no longer worked. Everything seems to have reset back to factory settings all by it self.

Message 12 of 24
plemans
Guru

did you ever try downgrading the firmware? 

Message 13 of 24
Manfred73
Guide

No I haven't. Not sure what version I should downgrade to. I read some people downgraded before Armor was introduced, but that means going back more than a year (maybe missing other important security updates). Would be good if this is addressed in a newer firmware release.

Restored the backup settings I made last week, numerous devices were blocked again and admin pages loading extremly slow.

Temporarily I could switch back to an older firmware version, but which one?

Message 14 of 24
plemans
Guru

Not all devices played nice with armor. Most of them did but there's a few unlucky ones that seemed to struggle with it. 

Maybe you'res is one of those. 

the version prior to armor is 1.0.4.28

install over a hardwired connection, factory reset, and DON'T use a backup configuration. 

Message 15 of 24
Manfred73
Guide

Does that mean I should stick with 1.0.4.28 forever? Or is there going to be any fix for this in a future firmware release?

Strange thing though, when Armor came out, I used the 30 day trial, and that seemed to be working pretty well at the time.

Message 16 of 24
plemans
Guru

Will you have to stick with it forever? Unknown. 

Do they know what the underlying root cause is? unknown. 

So do we know if a firmware will fix the issue? unknown because we don't know why its happening.

We're not netgear. We're just people from the public helping out.

Its rare but the r8000/r8000p occasionally have issues with it.

i tend to see it more on the R6400/r6700/r7000 versus the r8000/p models

Message 17 of 24
Manfred73
Guide

I will give the older firmware version a try when I have some time to reinstall and manually reconfigure everything.

Maybe time to switch to some other new product instead. A shame though, since this router did not come cheap.

Message 18 of 24

@Manfred73 wrote:

To my surprise, I noticed the NETGEAR72 wifi SID instead of my own and logging in into the router on 192.168.0.1 no longer worked.

That's not the default IP address for the graphical user interface (GUI) on routers.

192.168.0.1 is for modem/routers.

Routers use 192.168.1.1 

Message 19 of 24
Manfred73
Guide

Yes, but I changed it to 192.168.0.1 because my NAS and DNS entries are also configured in that range. This has worked fine for the first 2 years that I have this router. After a spontaneous factory reset, all settings were gone.

I have now reverted back to the older firmware version (without doing a factory reset again by the way).

Message 20 of 24

@Manfred73 wrote:

Yes, but I changed it to 192.168.0.1 because my NAS and DNS entries are also configured in that range. 

The spontaneous reset will have removed your changes. That is why I said "default". 

Message 21 of 24
Manfred73
Guide

And the firmware downgrade had no effect. Worked for half a day. Trying another factory reset now and manually change the settings once more.

Message 22 of 24
Manfred73
Guide

That didn't help either.

Starting to think that I'm having a broken Netgear Router or something.

Message 23 of 24
Manfred73
Guide

Well, in my case I think it was not Armor: when I switched to a new wifi 6 Asus router, the problem was still there. Eventually it turned out to be some application running on my Synology that was draining the internet connection. After tuning the settings of that application, it worked fine again. Strange thing was that it used to work fine before with the previous settings, so I didn't suspect any application causing this.
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7