Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

my wired speed is alot slower than wireless speed?

7Karma
Aspirant

my wired speed is alot slower than wireless speed?

hey guys I'm having some trouble with figuring out what is going on.

atm I have service provider with 500 mbps plan. and with router connected to usually 6 devices(1 wired ethernet connected to my pc, 3 smartphone devices, 1 chromecast ultra, and 1 for wireless printer)

what's weird is that when i use speedtest on the smartphones; it usually gets around 300 mbps which seems normal but on my pc which is connected wired through ethernet cable the average speed I get is usually around 70 mbps.

the ethernet cable is connected from routher so I also tried connecting my pc directly from the modem but the average speed seems to be same at around 70 mbps. I checked my internet provider's modem list and my modem(it's rented from the provider because they said because I am using their phone service I can't buy my own modem) and it does support 500 mbps with DOCSIS 3.0. I do see couple better modems they have that says it's DOCSIS 3.1 with up to 1gbps. but I don't think modem is the issue here

if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated thanks

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
myersw
Master

Re: my wired speed is alot slower than wireless speed?

Do not use a crossover cable to connect a PC to router. Cat 5e or Cat 6 cables should work fine. Other qestion is, does the PC Ethernet port support 1gig. Older PC may not.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
Kemer
Tutor

I would guess that your PC-Router connection is Auto-Negotiating to 100Mbps, rather than the 1000Mbps that you would like.  Under Advanced, you may find the ability to find "show statistics", there you could check the negotiated link speed.  If my guess is correct, you would see 100M/Full (100Mbps/Full Duplex).  As to why it is negotiating to 100Mbps could vary from the PC to the Ethernet cable to the Router.  KISS method says put in a new Ethernet Patch cable.  

Message 2 of 7
7Karma
Aspirant

You are right. I checked the 'show statistics' and WAN is at 1000M/full but LAN1 is at 100M/full. there is also WLAN b/g/n at 800M and WLAN a/n/ac at 1733M. Is that something I need to worry about?

I will go ahead and replace both ethernet cables (modem to router, from router to my pc). I noticed that both ethernet cable is cat6?. is there specific cat x cable I should be getting?

EDIT-one of the ethernet cable(the one that goes from my router to my pc) says crossover on the cable but the other one doesn't? is it something I need to check it out as well?

Message 3 of 7
Kemer
Tutor

It seems The WLAN rates that you are seeing are normal, it would be the 2 different frequencies (2.4GHz and 5.8GHz). Cat6 is a more stringent cable standard, which supports more throughput. On the leg that negotiating to 100/Full, you could have a damaged, kinked cable, bad connection, poorly routed, etc or possible that your PC just doesnt support 1000Mbps very well. I would go the direction of swapping out the cable and changing the routing if it is in an electrically noisy area.
Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 4 of 7
myersw
Master

Do not use a crossover cable to connect a PC to router. Cat 5e or Cat 6 cables should work fine. Other qestion is, does the PC Ethernet port support 1gig. Older PC may not.

Message 5 of 7
7Karma
Aspirant

ok so I won't use crossover cable from router to PC. how about the cable from modem to the router? I assume I shouldn't use the crossover on both ethernet connection but never hurts to be safe.

I believe my ethernet port is good since it says it uses Intel 1219V so I googled and it says it supports 1gigabit ethernet connection.

I will replace both ethernet cables tomorrow and see if it solves the issue

Message 6 of 7
myersw
Master

No you do not want to use a crossover cable from modem to router. Crossovers were used in the dark ages before switches got smart for connecting one switch to another. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7