Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

need r8500 Power adapter replacement

ifixidevices
Luminary

need r8500 Power adapter replacement

Hi guys,

Unfortunately my puppy decided to get into my computer room and cause havoc with power cords (didn't get hurt thankfully but he decided to start chewing on the large parts of the adapters, only bright side is he didn't pee on any of it!)

Anyways, I cannot find a replacement power adapter online for this specific router. Is there any place I could find one or can netgear support help me purchase another one (I can't be the only one who's needed a replacement power adapter.) I don't want to get the wrong one either and short out this unit.

So if there's anyone who knows where to find one or could help me find the right person at netgear to get in touch with I'd really appreciate it!

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: need r8500 Power adapter replacement

@ifixidevices Since E-bay is a non-authorized reseller, consider buying a new power adapter.

Its part number is 332-10631-01.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @ifixidevices

Welcome to the community!

Kindly register your NETGEAR router and PM me your proof of purchase to move forward.

Thank you!

Message 2 of 11
ifixidevices
Luminary

Thanks ElaineM, I bought it second hand off of eBay (I've bought a lot of netgear products that way.) It says it's already registered. Can I still PM you with the serial number of the unit or am I SOL?

Message 3 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ifixidevices Since E-bay is a non-authorized reseller, consider buying a new power adapter.

Its part number is 332-10631-01.

Message 4 of 11
ifixidevices
Luminary

There's no way I can buy it directly from Netgear?

Also looking up that part number everywhere I've found shows it listed as a 12v 3.5A power adapter.

If he wouldn't have mangled up the side of the adapter I could read the part number but on the back of the router it shows 19v 3.16a so I don't think that adapter would work.

Message 5 of 11
ifixidevices
Luminary

Ok weird, that part number shows for both the 12V and 19V adapters...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291545801774

https://world.taobao.com/item/525709887597.htm?spm=a1z3o.7695283.0.0.ndLpHQ

Looks like the only place I can get it from is China if I can't get it directly from netgear...

Message 6 of 11
TheEther
Guru

The adapter you found on EBay is a different part number: 332-10613-01 instead of 332-10631-01.  The taobao one looks correct.

When it comes to replacing a DC adapter, any adapter with exactly the same voltage (e.g. 19V) and polarity (the orientation of + and - symbols), plug, and at least the same amperage (e.g. 3.16A) will work.

Personally, I would buy either a genuine Netgear adapter or a generic adapter made by a reputable company, preferably Made in the U.S..

Message 7 of 11
ifixidevices
Luminary

Ah I'm dyslexic when it comes to numbers (I'm sure there's a term for it.)

The only option I found so far was to order one from that foreign site and pay for shipping from China (the only site I found so far that I can read is one that costs about $46 EMS out of China. I'll wait until tomorrow and see if anyone else has any solutions (there are aftermarket adapters on Amazon that claim to work but I really don't want to do any damage plus I'm not sure if the plug size will fit.

Thanks for the reply 🙂

Message 8 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ifixidevices I apologize but there's no option to buy a power adapter directly from us.

Your best option is to look in stores for the generic adapter that has the correct voltage specs.

Message 9 of 11
ifixidevices
Luminary

It's alright... I managed to find a china seller so I'll have to wait but fortunately I have another router I can use in the meantime.

I appreciate your help 🙂

Message 10 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome! Hope you'll get it up and running soon.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7