Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r7000 has WAN connectivity issues due to parental controls. How to fix?

schotty
Aspirant

r7000 has WAN connectivity issues due to parental controls. How to fix?

I decided to give the parental controls a go, and that was a bad idea.  After using the app on my phone to set this up, all wireless network access to the internet is blocked.  How can I remove this?  I do not have a settings backup (thought I did) from when I installed and heavily customized the settings.

As I cannot use the phone app, since it needs internet, and I cannot do remote administration (need to do so from within the wlan which ... again requires net access), I am at a loss as to how I should remove the parental controls.  I found nothing on the opendns site,  and even with removing the opendns dns settings and plopping in googles', I am still having issues with wireless devices.  My server which is the one unit plugged in seems ok.

All systems are on RHEL 7.1

Phone is Android 5.1.1

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schotty
Aspirant

Re: r7000 has WAN connectivity issues due to parental controls. How to fix?

Actually no. With parental controls on, it locked out my DNS from being modified. Hence my issue.

I actually gave in and did a backup, factory reset, reprogram, backup. I will give it a stab again when time permits. But in the end I will likely be purchasing a Soekris or something of the sort to roll up my own firewall/NAT/AP so I no longer need to worry about this.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You should be able to log into the R7000 (connect via Wi-Fi or Ethernet and point your browser at routerlogin.net).  Then change the DNS server(s).  Netgear's parental controls use OpenDNS servers.  You can change them to Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) or revert to your ISP's servers.  If parental controls were, in fact, blocking your Internet access, then this should restore it.

Message 2 of 3
schotty
Aspirant

Actually no. With parental controls on, it locked out my DNS from being modified. Hence my issue.

I actually gave in and did a backup, factory reset, reprogram, backup. I will give it a stab again when time permits. But in the end I will likely be purchasing a Soekris or something of the sort to roll up my own firewall/NAT/AP so I no longer need to worry about this.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7