Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r7800 and Powerline v1 2nd Port Complete Disconnect

Jbenhart
Guide

r7800 and Powerline v1 2nd Port Complete Disconnect

Hello all,

I have a new one for you, I bet. I have a r7800 and a powerline ethernet adapter (tk1000 ver 1, I believe). It has two ports on it, and I am successfully using the first port, no problems. I went to use the second port to get another internet connection and my 7800 completely freaks out. It attempts to add the port, but then shuts down, reboots, and completely loses all connectivitiy (web app, wifi goes down, ethernet goes down.) When I unplug the 2nd port of the powerline from the router, it comes back online, eventually.

I thought it could be the eth cord so I swapped that out. I've tried different ports on the router. Also, I even tried doing a complete factory reset. If I plug in the 2nd port to the router, it completely loses it. I just don't get it. The first port has been working fine for years.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Josh

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: r7800 and Powerline v1 2nd Port Complete Disconnect

@Jbenhart wrote:

Don't I have have to plug both ports from one plug into the router and both eth wires (computer and tv) into the other plug?

Not in my experience.

When I use two-plug Powerline adaptors I have just one connection to the router – from a single-port plug. Then I can run two separate devces from the second two-port plug.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What actual model number is the powerline adapter? I found a ton of adapters off the tk1000 version.

If its a dual plug ethernet model, you're not plugging both into the R7800? Correct? You should only need 1 powerline device plugged into the router. 

Message 2 of 6
Jbenhart
Guide

It is a TP-LINK AV1000 2-Port Gigabit model TL-PA7020 ver 1. Each plug-in has two Ethernet ports. Don't I have have to plug both ports from one plug into the router and both eth wires (computer and tv) into the other plug?

Message 3 of 6

@Jbenhart wrote:

Don't I have have to plug both ports from one plug into the router and both eth wires (computer and tv) into the other plug?

Not in my experience.

When I use two-plug Powerline adaptors I have just one connection to the router – from a single-port plug. Then I can run two separate devces from the second two-port plug.

Message 4 of 6
Jbenhart
Guide

Yep! That was it! I believed because each powerline adapter had two Ethernet ports, you needed to plug one wire into each, for both the router and the items to connect. But you only need to connect a single wire to the router, even if you're using both ports on the other end. They should spell that out a bit more in the manual.

Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad to see you got it figured out with that dual plug in setup. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series