Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

site to site vPN with nighthawk routers

bdhoward
Aspirant

site to site vPN with nighthawk routers

Hi - I seem some old entries that I can not do site to site (nighthawk to nighthawk) vpn - is that still the case? frankly I am trying to see if I can get to my home subnet so I can access xfinity streaming while we are at our vacation home. 

thx

Message 1 of 6

Re: site to site vPN with nighthawk routers

And your Netgear hardware is?

Message 2 of 6
bdhoward
Aspirant

they are both in the 6000 family - think I just saw a 2020 comment that said it is still not supported - thx

Message 3 of 6

@bdhoward wrote:

they are both in the 6000 family

That's meaningless. Could be one of a dozen boxes.

think I just saw a 2020 comment that said it is still not supported - thx

Not much to go on there then.

Please don't waste your time, and ours, with vague questions with minimal details.

Message 4 of 6
bdhoward
Aspirant

sorry - the other router is in a different state and I don't recall what it is................I have a 6700 here.....the other one is about 4 years old and looks like the x6 ac3200 - that's all i've can say at this point. 

Message 5 of 6

@bdhoward wrote:

sorry - the other router is in a different state and I don't recall what it is................I have a 6700 here.....the other one is about 4 years old and looks like the x6 ac3200 - that's all i've can say at this point. 

The problem is that Netgear makes at least a dozen 6XXX devices. And that is just routers.

Even ac3200 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

The only 6XXX router with AC3200 is the R6300v2.

It isn't being picky to ask what equipment you have. Netgear includes different features – that's the whole idea of offering a range of devices – so not knowing what you have, it is impossible to say if they can do what you want.

On which, I still don't know what you want to do. You kick off with "site to site vPN". The mention "access xfinity streaming while we are at our vacation home".

Even xfinity streaming is vague. Streaming is a label put on many things.

Do you know that VPN will achieve that, or are you just guessing? The people who can tell you are the VPN makers.

If you want to know about accessing one Netgear router from another, then you need to investigate Remote Access. And that depends on the router that you have, so we are back at square one.

The best way to approach a challenge isn't so ask how to achieve your idea of the solution ("site to site VPN") but to say what you want to do ("remote access to xfinity streaming"). The maybe someone can suggest ways of getting what you want. This may or may not have anything to do with your idea of the solution.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7