Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Customize Wifi Network issues on 2.4Ghz on a Netgear Nighthawk Tri-Band Mesh (MK83)

Uno_Time
Aspirant

Customize Wifi Network issues on 2.4Ghz on a Netgear Nighthawk Tri-Band Mesh (MK83)

I am having issues with Customize Wi-Fi Network.  Below is some of the stats

• HW: Netgear Nighthawk Tri-band Mesh MK83
  • Firmware: Vi.1.6.10_3.1.97
  • Wi-Fi Channel is set to Auto
  • Guest Network is disable
  • In “Wireless Settings” the only item not enabled is MU-MiMO
  • Mesh configuration is backhaul is wired between
  • Been using for 1 year before deciding to enable Customize Wi-Fi Network
  • My home is setup by 3 floors. Each floor has either a NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS308) or a NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS305).
  • It is connected to BGW210-700 Modem

Issue with the below Customize WI-FI Network

• Wireless Network-Profile with issue:  2.4GHz
  • Security Options: WPA2-Personal (AES)

Every time I can get on the network it works for a short period. Then it loses internet connection. This is while the other network works find. Including the customized 5 GHz.

When I disconnect and try to get back on the Wi-Fi Network it gives me an error that to many Wi-Fi networks are using the channel on my iPhone

What I have tried:

Changed security options

Disable the SSID Broadcast

Reboot “a lot”

Multiple different SSID (“why not)

Downgrade firmware all the way back to V1.1.5.4

I did a reset with the button on the back and reset using the software menu

Could someone help me solve this?

Thanks

Uno

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Customize Wifi Network issues on 2.4Ghz on a Netgear Nighthawk Tri-Band Mesh (MK83)

Try option #2...

Message 2 of 10
Uno_Time
Aspirant

Hey,

I already disabled all the settings and the NAT is off on the modem as indicated. The system has been run fine for about 6 months before I decided to create a customize network.  Everything else is running great. I can't use the customize 2.4 network.

Regards,

Uno

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you remove the MS from the wired back haul and try setting up the MS wirelessly then try the customize the 2.4Ghz wifi? 

Message 4 of 10
Uno_Time
Aspirant

I have done that. Same behavior and huge performance hit with my home.

Uno

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

Message 6 of 10
Uno_Time
Aspirant

hey,

not sure how far apart, house is around 3500. they don’t see that far apart, not sure it matter because they are Ethernet backhaul .

Thanks,
Uno
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes can be a factor regardless of wireless or wired backhaul. Signals to close can be problmatic. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly or wire connected. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

Something to try, turn OFF the MS. Configure Custom 2.4Ghz on the MR only and see if the problem continues or not. If it does, maybe something in FW that needs to be fix. 

Message 8 of 10
Uno_Time
Aspirant

Still not working. I have literally combed the internet trying to figure out what is wrong. I have found that this bug also happens on the MK63. The only conclusion I could come up with it that it is a firmware bug.

Well wait to see if they fix the issues with the next update.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you contact NG support and let them know what yoru seeing so they know. They may not be aware of this problem:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7