× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: How to enable DFS channel use? MK63 (aka MR60 + 2 x MS60)

EternalStudent
Apprentice

How to enable DFS channel use? MK63 (aka MR60 + 2 x MS60)

One area listing all devices that support DFS channels (any at all) lists my product.  But another page that lists WHICH of the possible DFS channels each product will support lists nothing.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060372/Which-NETGEAR-devices-support-Dynamic-Frequency-Selection - includes...

MR60/MS60,V1

Mesh WiFi 6 Router, Mesh WiFi 6 Satellite

But this page doesn't list anything.  It should mention at least one DFS channel it supports...

https://kb.netgear.com/000060378/Which-Dynamic-Frequency-Selection-channels-does-my-NETGEAR-device-s...

I've already looked through my device, and I'm using the latest firmware (even did factory resets after installing it a bit ago).  I cannot pick 5 GHz channels other than the low range and high range that all devices support.  As this page claims I should be able to...

https://kb.netgear.com/000060373/How-do-I-select-a-Dynamic-Frequency-Selection-channel-on-my-NETGEAR...

Sadly my neighborhood has TONS of other routers (for not being an apartment or urban area), and people who don't understand how channel selection works (one is using channel 7, another 9...even have a 13 in use that isn't legal for my country, we should only support 1, 6, or 11).  And I'm not near an airport or anywhere that uses automatic doors (I read some use radar, and if a DFS device detects interference it should disallow the specific DFS channels...often until you reboot the device).

I've looked after leaving the device booted for a while (so it could scan and approve of unused DFS channels).  And I've looked immediate after booting (before it might have blacklisted anything).  I can never pick from 48-148.  Someone near me can (only 1 SSID, but 2 MAC's).

I bought this mesh system a while ago so I don't have any support time left.  And no money to pay Netgear to ask them about this.  I'm 99% sure the answer is "they lied" or "changed their mind" or "couldn't get it to work so gave up".

(sorry if something is confusing...they deleted something as "invalid HTML" when I first tried to submit and I have no idea what is missing now)

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Region are you located? 

Message 2 of 6

@EternalStudent wrote:

But this page doesn't list anything.  It should mention at least one DFS channel it supports...

https://kb.netgear.com/000060378/Which-Dynamic-Frequency-Selection-channels-does-my-NETGEAR-device-s...

Looks like yet another Netgear article that is out of date.

Nothing in there for the MK series.

"Last Updated:03/17/2022"

which, in the real world, translates tpo Last Updated:03/17/2022

More than a year old.

Message 3 of 6
EternalStudent
Apprentice

I'm in the US.  That's the region it lists on the advanced page.  I don't think I can change it (grayed out).  I don't remember if I ever manually set it or if it just figured out where I am on it's own.

I'll admit to considering changing the region to try out the channel 13 option, away from most people in 2.4GHz.  But as I said...isn't possible that I know of.

(Update) I just expanded all 4 regions on the DFS channels supported page, just in case they don't exist until I expanded them.  No model listed included "mr", "ms", or "mk" using find in the browser.

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably not supported on the MK series MESH system then.

Message 5 of 6

@EternalStudent wrote:

I'm in the US.  That's the region it lists on the advanced page.  I don't think I can change it (grayed out). 

Wifi regions are down to local legal requirements. The US seems to be especially rigid and Netgear locks its NAS models.

My "MK" router allows me to switch.

• Advanced
  • Advanced Setup
  • Wireless Settings
  • Region Selection

Slightly different on an and R7800.

There were "command line" ways of overruling those settings in older routers, but Netgear may have closed those back doors.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series