× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Nighthawk MR60 dropping internet speed

@luga13 wrote:

yes the modem has a couple of leds in the ethernet connector, it is flashing orange which to my understanding it means that the modem is transmitting at higher speeds, it also has a green led but this one is permanently off.

On LAN indicators, orange LED usually mean 100 Mbps, white or green means 1000 Mbps.

Message 26 of 41
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@luga13 wrote:

yes the modem has a couple of leds in the ethernet connector, it is flashing orange which to my understanding it means that the modem is transmitting at higher speeds, it also has a green led but this one is permanently off.

On LAN indicators, orange LED usually mean 100 Mbps, white or green means 1000 Mbps.

Yes, this might indicate a 100 Mbps (Fast Ethernet) or slower - funnily, there is no standard, just vendor specific implementaitons.

The graph slightly below (or around the 100 Mb/s level) in the App tells me the same.

Cable, connector, installation, and  very unlikely a hardware issue on the MR60.

Message 27 of 41
luga13
Tutor

well, the saga continues...i have an old ASUS router that i connected to the ISP modem, i tested the ASUS speeds:

1. wired = 577 D, 22.6U

2. Wireless = 240 D, 15 U

using the same cables, proximity is not an issue, same configuration...i am leaning towards either my MR60 went bad, or there's a compatibility issue between my ISP and the MR60...

thank you all for your replies and ideas...i am lost.

Message 28 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Last resort, do a 30-30-30 reset on the MR with out anything connected to it. After the front LED is blinking WHITE or goes to solid AMBER, connect up your one wired PC to the WAN port on the MR60, not the LAN port. Look at your PCs networking status and find the connection/speed rate of the ethernet adapter on the PC. Let us know if it's 100 or 1000Mpbs here. 

Message 29 of 41
plemans
Guru

Did you try a wan- lan test and then check those port statistics when it's hooked up like this? Sorry on Mobile so didn't see if that was suggested.
https://kb.netgear.com/28408/An-Internet-or-LAN-port-isn-t-working-correctly-on-my-router-How-do-I-p...
Message 30 of 41
luga13
Tutor

thanks i did this 30-30-30, my adapter on my laptop went to 1G.

but what i did was:

1. I disconnected the only device i had in my mr60

2. unpluged it and plugged the MR again

3. While in white blinking state, i connected the laptop

4. Speed = 1.0Gbps

Message 31 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

OK. MR WAN port should be good then at 1Gb. Power the MR OFF along with the ISP Modem. Connect up the MR to the modem and power ON the modem, give 15 seconds wait time, then power ON the MR. After the MR is ready, check the WAN port speed on the MRs web page. 

Message 32 of 41
luga13
Tutor

done, it continues reporting the following:

WAN 100

Lan1 1000 (my laptop is connected to the MR port)

the one thing i noticed is that during the boot up process, the modem led ligths started blinking, both orange and green, after a while, green went off and orange remained on.

Message 33 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd ask your ISP for a new modem. 

Last resort, something you can try, get you a 5 port Gb non managed LAN switch. (GS-105) These have more LED indications and put in between the ISP Modem and the MR. Don't connect anything else to this switch, just the ISP Modem and MR on it's WAN port. 

Message 34 of 41
schumaku
Guru

@luga13 wrote:

WAN 100

Lan1 1000 (my laptop is connected to the MR port)

Just curious where you discovered this, especially for the WAN port. Not a regular Nighthawk Mesh user I admit, more at home in the SMB and business world, so be gentle please.

@luga13 wrote:

the one thing i noticed is that during the boot up process, the modem led ligths started blinking, both orange and green, after a while, green went off and orange remained on.

This could indeed make sense in case the WAN port does re-engotiate the Ethernet link speed. Just cold boot (power) the MR60 and watch the LEDs. 

Message 35 of 41
luga13
Tutor

no worries, i posted a photo above...the last speed test i did at 500MBPS was in October then now in January 2023 i tried again and it was only 90ish..

thanks

Message 36 of 41
luga13
Tutor

I actually did, i blamed them (haha) and they swaped the old Modem for a new one, although it was exactly the same model but just new in a box

Message 37 of 41
luga13
Tutor

for a second i thought it was going to work with the switch in between, the green led on the modem stays on but MR still at 90.

i guess this is it, need a new system

thank you all, it was an interesting exercise and a good learning experience

Message 38 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

At least you know now. 

There's MR replacements on Amazon if you have access:

https://www.amazon.com/NBS-Nighthawk-EasyMesh-802-11b-Renewed/dp/B09ZYR6Y18/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1FSF11C3...

Message 39 of 41
schumaku
Guru

The modem swap didn't happen around January 7 (roughly the date I remember from your posted screenshot)?

Message 40 of 41
luga13
Tutor

yes, it happened around that date in January, wonder why you ask?

Message 41 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7