× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Re: Setting up 2.4 network on MR 80, is this possible

ML47
Follower

Setting up 2.4 network on MR 80, is this possible

Not everything is 5g my Samsung tv is to slow or will not work with some streaming channels. Want to see if 2.4g will work better
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR📡 and MS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

https://kb.netgear.com/000063027/Can-I-create-separate-2-4GHz-and-5GHz-SSIDs-on-my-Nighthawk-Tri-ban...

Be sure your TVs FW is up to date as well. Placement and distance between TV and MR or an MS is important as well. 5Ghz will out perform 2.4Ghz, if the devices are in good working condition.

Message 2 of 3

@ML47 wrote:
Not everything is 5g my Samsung tv is to slow or will not work with some streaming channels. Want to see if 2.4g will work better

Does your Samsung TV actually support 5 GHz. Most older TVs don't. It isn't needed to get the speeds required for TV streaming.

If the TV is 2.4 GHz only, then turning off 5 GHz will have no effect. The TV won't try to connect to a wifi source that it can't see.

If the TV has an Ethernet input, one way to beef up the connection with Powerline Ethernet. This turns the local mains network into an Ethernet connection between the TV and the router. It isn't just faster, it is also less liable to wifi interference.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series