Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2x R7000 extend WIFI network searching for right configuration

dkopp
Aspirant

2x R7000 extend WIFI network searching for right configuration

Hi ; I have bought a 2nd R7000 AC1900 WIFI router.. My setup is as follows.

- Supplier router where I have disabled WIFI

- Then network cable (LAN) connected from the base router to the 1st R7000 WFI router in AP modus

- Another network cable (LAN) connected again from the base router upstairs to the 2nd R7000 wIFI router also in AP modus.

Question how do I configure them both to support extending of my WIFI signal with the same SSID without having to manually switch between downstairs and upstairs. How to do this?

I searched google but mostly do not fit my setup... For the moment I have both in AP modus and it seems to work.. But is this correct? I am running 5Ghz wifi and disable 2.4ghz

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: 2x R7000 extend WIFI network searching for right configuration

@dkopp wrote:
What I mean is if I have actually have to change the modes on the routers from AP to maybe bridge mode?

No, AP mode for a configuration with a wired backbone.

@dkopp wrote:
My issue usually is my phone (for example) sticks too long on the weak downstairs channel then to switch to upstairs. I was hoping to get one signal convering both floors.

Same name (SSID) on all wireless interfaces - or (if this should not be possible) at least the same name (SSID) for the 2.4 Ghz on both routers and both 5 GHz interfaces on both routers? 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Perfect correct set-up.

@dkopp wrote:

Question how do I configure them both to support extending of my WIFI signal with the same SSID without having to manually switch between downstairs and upstairs. How to do this?

Your installation does not extend the WiFi signal - much more you have two wiress access points with cabled connections to the network. Much better!

Configure the same network name (SSID) and password (network key) on all radios. Not sure it is possible to have the same name on the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios, due to some **** design ideas, the Web configuration might prohibit. However, you mentioned only usung the 5 GHz radio, so this limitation does not apply. Your wirless systems can decide on their own to use the better access point. 

Message 2 of 4
dkopp
Aspirant

Hi thnx for your reply.
What I mean is if I have actually have to change the modes on the routers from AP to maybe bridge mode? My issue usually is my phone (for example) sticks too long on the weak downstairs channel then to switch to upstairs. I was hoping to get one signal convering both floors.
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@dkopp wrote:
What I mean is if I have actually have to change the modes on the routers from AP to maybe bridge mode?

No, AP mode for a configuration with a wired backbone.

@dkopp wrote:
My issue usually is my phone (for example) sticks too long on the weak downstairs channel then to switch to upstairs. I was hoping to get one signal convering both floors.

Same name (SSID) on all wireless interfaces - or (if this should not be possible) at least the same name (SSID) for the 2.4 Ghz on both routers and both 5 GHz interfaces on both routers? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7