Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

5Ghz-2 not appearing (AC3200 Nighthawk X6 R8000)

Hikari1489
Aspirant

5Ghz-2 not appearing (AC3200 Nighthawk X6 R8000)

Hello,

My router has been working with no problems. Updated and used both the nighthawk app and tried the web genie. I cannot get my 2nd 5g signal to appear on any of my devices. The 2g and 5g-1 is showing up with no problems and works fine. I have my laptop connected via ethernet cable as well and still no change. I tried to changed the channel that the 2nd 5g signal is on to every possible channel through web genie as well. 

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. 

Thank you. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: 5Ghz-2 not appearing (AC3200 Nighthawk X6 R8000)

the japan thing does impact. Do you have the region setup for Japan on your router? And the device you're using? 

japan has different wifi channels that can't be broadcast on or can be broadcast on.  this is the list. (from wikipedia)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 20

All Replies
plemans
Guru

When you updated, did you do it through the app?

If so, try re-doing the update manually over a hardwired connection and reset the router afterwards. You'll have to redo your setup but this tends to make firmware updates run the best. If it doesn't work, you can always try downgrading to the older firmware that didn't have issues.  Some updates cause issues for people so its always an option to downgrade if it does for you.  Let me know if either step works. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r8000.aspx

Message 2 of 20
IrvSp
Master

@Hikari1489 wrote:

Hello,

My router has been working with no problems. Updated and used both the nighthawk app and tried the web genie. I cannot get my 2nd 5g signal to appear on any of my devices. The 2g and 5g-1 is showing up with no problems and works fine. I have my laptop connected via ethernet cable as well and still no change. I tried to changed the channel that the 2nd 5g signal is on to every possible channel through web genie as well. 

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. 

Thank you. 

Specific on the F/W involved please, both the old and new?

"Updated and used both the nighthawk app and tried the web genie."? Web Genie? Do you mean with a Browser? If so, did you look at the setting for TRANSMIT the radio, "Enable SSID Broadcast "? If it isn't being transmitted, NightHawk mobile app will not see it.

The reason I ask for the F/W version is the older one only supported Smart Connect on the 2 5Ghz SSID's and a single SSID and PASSWORD set to SSID 5-1 for both SSID's. That was on V1.0.4.18. Newer one, V1.0.4.28 has Smart Connect supporting all 3 radios' with the 2.4Ghz credentials. Any chance you had Smart Connect enabled before?

Message 3 of 20
Hikari1489
Aspirant

Sorry, should of stated that this is a new router i got recently. About 2 weeks ago. When it was installed it was updated though the web browser. I wouldn't know if it worked before an update or not. When I first started using it the 2nd 5g signal was never appearing on my devices, yet it shows that it is active on the router itself and on the app and web browser.

Do you think it would be worth trying downgrading to a previous firmware to fix? If so which firmware should I downgrade to?

Message 4 of 20
plemans
Guru

Which version are you on? 

Message 5 of 20
plemans
Guru

And do you have smart connect on? @IrvSp Had a good points on firmware and smart connect. 

When you're scanning wifi channels, how are you doing it? Are you using a wifi analyzer like acrylic or inssider?

Message 6 of 20
Hikari1489
Aspirant

It's the current version; V1.0.4.28_10.1.54

Sorry, yes the browser when i say web genie. I double checked and it is broadcasting. I just reset it as well, testing it by turning the broadcast off then back on.

When I first got it, about 2 weeks ago, it was updated on the spot to its current version. I did turn on the smart connect for a moment then returned it after a few minutes. Is it possible that it may of caused a problem when i did turn on smart connect?

Message 7 of 20
IrvSp
Master

@Hikari1489 wrote:

It's the current version; V1.0.4.28_10.1.54

Sorry, yes the browser when i say web genie. I double checked and it is broadcasting. I just reset it as well, testing it by turning the broadcast off then back on.

When I first got it, about 2 weeks ago, it was updated on the spot to its current version. I did turn on the smart connect for a moment then returned it after a few minutes. Is it possible that it may of caused a problem when i did turn on smart connect?

Don't know? I'd reset the router and manually re-enter all settings again and test.  Did you notice when you turned on Smart Connect with the latest f/w that you only saw one SSID? Then when you turned it off, you only got 2 back or did all 3 come back? Did you even have all 3 before you turned on Smart Connect? You could have a defective router if you never saw all 3?

Suggest since it is new to open a case with NG under SUPPORT -> MY SUPPORT.

Message 8 of 20
Hikari1489
Aspirant

Smart Connect is not on, I did turn it on for a few minutes but changed it back.

The F/W is current; V1.0.4.28_10.1.54

I just tried a wifi analyzer app and still not appearing. I also tried to locate it, like if it's a hidden network, putting the name and password in. No luck there either.

Message 9 of 20
Hikari1489
Aspirant

Yes, when I first turned on Smart Connect it switched to one SSID. Before turning on S.C. my devices would only see the two networks. On the web browser it would show all three. Even the app showed the three. It is just not visible to any device to connect to.

I will try to rest it to factory settings and manually update again, see if anything changes. If not I will try NG Support. 

Anything else I may possibly try? I am in Japan as well, I dont think that should matter, but is it possible the internet company could be affecting it in any way?

Message 10 of 20
plemans
Guru

And when @IrvSp says reset, not just turn it off and back on but hold reset for 7-10 seconds to put it back to factory. 

Message 11 of 20
plemans
Guru

the japan thing does impact. Do you have the region setup for Japan on your router? And the device you're using? 

japan has different wifi channels that can't be broadcast on or can be broadcast on.  this is the list. (from wikipedia)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Message 12 of 20
plemans
Guru

Looks like Japan doesn't allow the higher channels to be broadcast on. Probably why you can't enable them or use them. 

Message 13 of 20
IrvSp
Master

@plemans, yes the knowledge of it being used in Japan does explain it, as does the corroborate that the OP never saw 3 SSID's.

I'll assume the router country IS set to Japan. Wonder if change to English or the NTP settings to a non-Japan Timezone would make it work (although possibly illegal?)?

That said, if the devices were bought for Japan they probably wouldn't even be able to see the bands as the devices would not work with them? So it is possible the router is putting out the SSID but a device can't see it? Doubt it though that this would be the case, that the router was putting out the signal since it seems it is illegal?

Message 14 of 20
plemans
Guru

agreed with @IrvSp probably a poor/illegal choice to try to enable them. its unfortunate to have a triband router and only being able to use 2 of the radios. Wonder if it was bought in japan as it'd be pointless to even market that router there? 

Message 15 of 20
Hikari1489
Aspirant

Ah I see, so being in Japan does affect it. The router was bought here yes, but it is an American router, bought from a military installation. So it was imported. All of my devices are currently American as well. So the router is putting out the signal but restricted to do so which is why my devices will not see it. What a shame. The worker who recommended this to me probably didn't know about the Japanese restricting access to those higher channels. Though, I am glad I now understand what is going on with it. Thank you so much for assisting me through this. I do apologies for the difficulties. 

I wonder if putting a VPN or changing it to English or changing the timezone would change it. Though probably not a sound decision. 

Is it possible to change the signal that the 5g-2 would be on besides those 4 signals (149, 153, 157, 161) that are available?

Message 16 of 20
plemans
Guru

If all your devices are set to US and you're on the military base, you could probably set your region on the router to US and be fine. If you live off base though, I wouldn't change the region. You *should* be able to change the region by loading the US firmware for it. Again, this gets a bit murky as I'm not sure of Japan's broadcast laws and the laws in regards to the military bases in foreign countries. 

changing the region is the only thing thats going to enable the option to use the 3rd radio as far as I know. 

Message 17 of 20
IrvSp
Master

I missed the 'important' place where the SSID's are customized. The REGION. See the screen capture at left.

That is the field that determines the frequencies I suspect, and it is probably in some cases burned into the router as in my case, it can't be changed. Might be done on a country by country basis even. Possible a 'world-wide' router available for sale might have that selectable? Even possible it is tied to the Time Zone? Don't know. But if you can't change it, it might be the cause here.

The fact that you can see the channels leads me to believe the router might display info/settings/choices, but somewhere else it determines if it should tranmit the channels?

However, NG's Moderator claims it is locked, but other f/w might not have it locked? One person figured out how to change it though, see https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Region-change/td-p/507639.

Messing with restrictions placed on frequencies like Japan has I would not advise, even on a US Armed forces base. I don't know why Japan doesn't allow those channels, but I suspect they have a reason. Might cause interference, or might now. Me personally, I wouldn't chance it, at least not until I got permission to do so.

I will assume the field you see on the WiFi page is not North America and possibly Japan, and it too can't be changed?

Message 18 of 20
Hikari1489
Aspirant

@plemans I am off base, but that's strange. My router is set for North America. Probably because it is an american router loaded with their F/W.

@IrvSp I guess maybe changing the timezone? or is it the location that actually prevents the signal from being sent out or recieved? Intresting.

Message 19 of 20
IrvSp
Master

Sure beats me?

The only 3 places I can think of that can define where you are what you are using 'country wise' is the Wireless page region, the router language (which might be meaningless as any language can be used anywhere) and the Timezone?

When Googling another problem someone had that they can't change the Wireless Region,  and I can't either as it is 'greyed' out. They were able to TELNET into the router and somehow change that that way. It was in a NG thread in this forum. Have not looked again though.

So now I'm wondering if there is another place 'holding you back' that can't be seen?

I'll assume you bought this at the Base PX or other store? Possibly a bad router even?  As you said, "When I first started using it the 2nd 5g signal was never appearing on my devices, yet it shows that it is active on the router itself and on the app and web browser.", it never worked at all.

Return it, you might have gotten a damaged one someone else had returned.

Still, even if you do get it going I'd be cautious using those bands. If nothing more inquire why they are not allowed but I wouldn't know who to ask? Maybe the person who sold you the router?

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7