Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1200 unable to connect to R7000

ChetD
Aspirant

CM1200 unable to connect to R7000

I had been using R7000 with Xfinity supplied cable modem (Technicolour Gateway) with no issues for 2+ years.

Changed Xfinity internet bundle to 300 Mbs and decided to own my equipment and bought a CM1200.

Setup CM1200 with Comcast/Xfinity and when I hardwire to the back of CM1200 I am getting 340+ Mbps consistently.

When I take that cable and jumper it to R7000, the router reports no internet connection in the UI dashboard. 

I have soft reset R7000 (through) built in UI and also did a hard reset through the papaer clip hole process couple of times.

I have power cycled both the cable modem and the wireless router multiple times.

I have tried to run setup through the R7000 bulit in UI with no luck, it does not see the Internet

I have tried accessing the router through the Nighhawk mobile app I get as far connected to router but again it times out at checking for network.

R7000 has not ever seen an incoming LAN connection from CM1200 eventhough the LAN light on front panel of R7000 is lit up.

I even suspected the short patch cable and tried two brand new ones.

WTF is goin on?

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

Re: CM1200 unable to connect to R7000

You have to do things in the right order. It isn't obvious from your account that this is what you did.

Take this bit:

@ChetD wrote:

I have power cycled both the cable modem and the wireless router multiple times.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies

You have to do things in the right order. It isn't obvious from your account that this is what you did.

Take this bit:

@ChetD wrote:

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

another thing to check, have you plugged anything else into the CM1200? 
It does have multiple ports but the education from netgear on it isn't the best. 

Basically only 1 port is usable unless you have the following conditions: 

1. A router that supports link aggregation (R7000 doesn't)

2. An ISP that leases multiple public IP's for consumer lines (xfinity doesn't)

3.  A business connection to your isp to allow the multiple ip addresses (most don't setup this at home). 

so make sure you don't have anything else connected to the CM1200 other than the router. Then follow @michaelkenward bootup/setup process. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7