Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't access router settings or internet after factory reset

Zedechai
Aspirant

Can't access router settings or internet after factory reset

After power outage last week, I have been getting speeds of 30 - 120 Mbps instead of the 500 Mbps I had previously.

Frontier has had multiple issues in the area, so I have been waiting for them to clear it up. Didn't think until last night to try connecting my laptop directly to the modem.   Speed test gave me 500+ Mbps, connecting back to router gave me 120 again.  Restarting router didn't improve things.  Logged into router, and had it check for f/w updates, it said that it was running on v1.0.09 and there were no updates.

I made the mistake of attempting a factory reset on the router, now I have no Internet access through the router, and cannot access the router settings no matter how I try.  I've tried:

NetgearGenie app - It says: NETGEAR router is not found or is not supported.  Also make sure the device is not connected to the guest network of the router and no IPv6 is enabled. (Which I have verified)((

Browsing to routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1 error out unable to connect.  Clearing cache does not help

Nighthawk app on my phone says it is Disconnected when attempting Anywhere Access, and "Issues connecting with"WiFi" when connecting to WiFi

I have also attempted factory reset after disconnecting modem and all other wired devices, then connecting modem and laptop, then restarting laptop as indicated by another thread I've read, but I am still getting the same issues.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
Zedechai
Aspirant

Re: Can't access router settings or internet after factory reset

I forgot to mention that Wireless connections all show No Internet, secured, while wired connection says "Internet access"

Message 2 of 8
antinode
Guru

> Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router

Connected to what?

> [...] v1.0.09 [...]

Not a real R7000 firmware version.

> Browsing to routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1 error out unable to
> connect.

What's the IP address of your computer?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.  Look for the
LED descriptions and "Troubleshoot".

For later, when you can talk to it again...

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.  (In the User Manual, look for "firmware", and,
especially, for a topic like "Manually Upload Firmware to the Router".)
When that fails because of a deficient User Manual, try:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960

Message 3 of 8

@Zedechai wrote:

After power outage last week, I have been getting speeds of 30 - 120 Mbps instead of the 500 Mbps I had previously.

Frontier has had multiple issues in the area, so I have been waiting for them to clear it up. Didn't think until last night to try connecting my laptop directly to the modem.   Speed test gave me 500+ Mbps, connecting back to router gave me 120 again.  Restarting router didn't improve things. 

Things can get horribly out of synch after that sort of chaos.

Power cuts usually take out both the modem and the router on a network. When the power comes back on, they may start up in the wrong order, with the router kicking in before the modem is ready. That means that they get confused about which is in charge.

It may help to reboot the whole network in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 4 of 8
Zedechai
Aspirant

@ antinode

>> Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router

>Connected to what?

Frontier communications provided MoCA Ethernet Adapter Model :FCA251

>> [...] v1.0.09 [...]

>Not a real R7000 firmware version.

As stated, I cannot get into the router settings... The above was what I thought I remembered from the night before I could have sworn that it was v1.0.9.xxx but I can't remember for sure.

IP Address was 192.168.1.2

I looked up manuals and read through these forums quite a bit.
All LEDs on the router showed white

I tried the manual firmware update but got connection refused error, or something along those lines.

I have since bought another router because I had to work from home yesterday.  If I can get this one back up and running, I will use it as a backup in case I have an issue like this again.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 8
Zedechai
Aspirant

@michaelkenward 

I found instructions for this reboot and tried this as well.  The only reboot instructions I didn't follow were the 30-30-30 because I read one person's reply that this model did not take too kindly to being restarted like that.

The Ethernet adapter is a Frontier communications provided MoCA Ethernet Adapter, Model :FCA251

It is just an Ethernet Adapter.. 1 Coax and 1 Ethernet port are the only ports on it besides power.

Message 6 of 8
antinode
Guru

> Frontier communications provided MoCA Ethernet Adapter Model :FCA251

And the other end of that is connected to what?  Does its "Coax"
indicator indicate a good coax connection?

> I looked up manuals and read through these forums quite a bit.

Which "manuals"?  Thanks for the helpful forum links.

> All LEDs on the router showed white

Including the USB LEDs?  Or does your "All" mean something different
from my "All"?  If you mean "All LEDs I care about", then I don't know
which those might be.

> I tried the manual firmware update but got connection refused error,
> or something along those lines.

None of that is a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

Message 7 of 8

@Zedechai wrote:

The Ethernet adapter is a Frontier communications provided MoCA Ethernet Adapter, Model :FCA251

It is just an Ethernet Adapter.. 1 Coax and 1 Ethernet port are the only ports on it besides power.

I'm not sure what "an Ethernet Adapter" is ion thjois comtext. And "FCA251" finds nothing at a quick glance.

From what I can find a MoCA Ethernet Adapter isnlt likely to be the way that the Internet arrives at your premises.

There would normally be something "upstream" from that adapter. Looking at Frontiers documentation, that upstream connection could well be a "FiberOptic Internet Router".

HGowever, your first message referred to a modem.

Here for example:

I have also attempted factory reset after disconnecting modem and all other wired devices, then connecting modem and laptop, then restarting laptop as indicated by another thread I've read, but I am still getting the same issues.

Is there a modem? Or is that what you are calling the R7000? That is a router and not a modem. So calling an R7000 a modem, if that is what you are doing, is wrong and confusing

Without a clearer understanding of what you have and what you are doing, it is hard to add anything else to the advice you have received.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7