Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dropped connections

Mondoman
Tutor

Dropped connections

Firmware v. 1.0.9.64

I've been experiencing dropped connections routinely throughout the day.  I'm on DSL with an cat7 ethernet cable going from modem (SmartRG) to R7000 and this has worked fine for at least a year.  My ethernet connection directly from the modem is good and my ISP also confirmed when I called to ask so no problems with the ISP or the modem (SmartRG). 

I currently have seperate network names for 2.4ghz and 5ghz.  I also have a Netgear EX7700 extender with a different network name that I only turn on when I'm downstairs and need a good connection via ethernet to my PC's (so in all 3 different network SSID's).  I never connect any wirelss devices to the EX7700 network since I ethernet my computers from the extender.   I experience dropouts from the main router whether the extender is turned on or not. 

Right now I have the 5ghz and more stable by unplugging the usb drives from the router.   The router was powering off and on but hasn't done this since I disconnected all usb devices.  I also have chosen channels that are not typically in use by the conncections I can detect around me.  I don't have QOS, traffic control, or smart connect operating also signal is strong, 100% throughout the house.  One thing that I "think" is making the connection more stable is enabling the 2.4ghz radio.  Mind you we were connecting fine with this off since there really isn't anything in our house using 2.4ghz.  Why do you think the 5ghz network is more stable with the 2.4ghz radio enabled?  Remember 5ghz network has it's own SSID and that's what we all connect to.  Unfortunately I have to routinely power the router off and reboot to get the connection stable again all the while monitoring my ethernet connection from the modem which is always stable.

I'm actually getting pretty tired of the Netgear router routinely losing connections.  I had no problems with this using my old Airport Extreme.  Just about ready to hook it up again even though it's old tech but is reliable.  Any tips someone has or recommendations about a "reliable" router, fast gaming I don't care about, but reliable I need for my online classes.  Thanks for  your time in reading this.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: Dropped connections

@fdevans, @Mondoman. that level of firmware is quite problematic for many. All sorts of problems, yet some have no problem.

NG Moderators have suggested in the past to go back to the V1.0.9.42 firmware release. Most people who have done that report that the problems they had were resolved.

When/if NG should release a new level of firmware I suggest you look in the forum to see if it is stable before installing.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
fdevans
Initiate

I"m seeing the same issues and have had 2.4 turned on from the start.  This started with the V1.0.9.64_10.2.64 of the firmware and it's consistent throughout each day.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 2 of 8
IrvSp
Master

@fdevans, @Mondoman. that level of firmware is quite problematic for many. All sorts of problems, yet some have no problem.

NG Moderators have suggested in the past to go back to the V1.0.9.42 firmware release. Most people who have done that report that the problems they had were resolved.

When/if NG should release a new level of firmware I suggest you look in the forum to see if it is stable before installing.

Message 3 of 8
Mondoman
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.  Netgear actually contacted me and is sending a new router.  They are paying for shipping both ways.  I'm pretty impressed with their customer support at this point.  If the new router has the same problem I'll try reverting to a previous update like you mentioned.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 4 of 8
Mondoman
Tutor

Thanks, that's great advice.  Netgear is actually sending me a new router since it powered off and on by itself.  I'm impressed with their customer support.  If the new router has the same problem I'll try reverting to a previous firmware update.  Or possibly if it works I'll just leave it alone completely.  Thanks for replying.

Message 5 of 8
IrvSp
Master

Be aware, probably you'll be getting a reconditioned router, not a new one. It is unknown (even with a new one) was firmware might be on it. When you turn it on and start it, it might ask to UPDATE to the latest f/w. DO NOT ALLOW THIS! It still could be V1.0.9.64 that caused the problem. LEAVE IT AS IT IS with the f/w it came with. Once installed CHECK that the Router Auto Firmware Update is NOT checked (turn it off if on) on the ROUTER UPDATE PAGE.

If you think after setting it up and testing, that it is OK, remember the level of the f/w, and SAVE the configuration. If you are BRAVE, then manually do the update check on that page and go do it. Problem returns, contact NG and let them know what you did and the results. Hopefully that WILL NOT happen.

Message 6 of 8
Mondoman
Tutor

Thanks, good advice, I'll do that.  Wan't aware it might be a reconditioned one.  Any case, I had given up on them and really wasn't pursuing it.  Netgear was the one that actually reached out to me so I'm pretty impressed.  Felt like it came out of nowhere and even felt like a scam at first.  After contacting Netgear at their official number after the first encounter they confirmed everything so Kudo's to Netgear.  If it's reconditioned and works I'm better off than before. If not, I'm just giving up on Netgear and won't be buying any more of their products.  Thanks for the tips on how to initially setup and checking the firmware.  I definitely think that's the right approach to take.

Message 7 of 8
Mondoman
Tutor

Received the new router yesterday and I don't think it's a refurbished one.  New shrink wrapped pacakge and just appears very new.  No label stating it was refurbished either.  I followed your instructions and only updated to .42 firmware.  So far everything is working great.  Hopefully eveything will continue working.  Thanks for the reply and advice.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7