Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do you allowlist a block of external IP Addresses - Nighthawk R7800?

Greenlaw
Tutor

How do you allowlist a block of external IP Addresses - Nighthawk R7800?

Whitelis needed - PCI External Vulnerability Scans via ControlScan

My credit card processor is requiring ControlScan to access my network to check for "Network security". My router is currently detecting their scan as a variety of attacks (SYN Flood, ACK Scan, Xmas Tress Scan etc) and blocks their IP and scans.    I have been given a block of IP adresses that I need to "alowlist" on the router so that they can get access into the network but I cannot seem to figure out how to set this up. Any assistance is appreciated.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router - Firmware V1.0.2.46

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Greenlaw
Tutor

Re: How do you Whitelist a block of external IP Addresses - Nighthawk R7800?

Thank you for the link and I apologize for my delay in replying to your kind and helpful suggestion. (It is refeshing compared to some other users that prefer to talkdown to people). I will update the firmware when I return to the physical location of the router, as i have been out of the state.

I actually was able to solve the issue by changing a single “speed setting” on their end of the software via their portal to “slow”. I know some other netgear users are having the same problem and would like to mention that the reason that they are not able to give as much techincal detail as some would like is because the third-party scanning company provides no information on what the scan entails and their phone support is completely clueless.

In an attempt to help other people with the issue and maybe give insight to Netgear Moderators here are the details for my particular case.

My business uses Heartland Payment Systems for our credit card merchant processing. At the begining of 2018, a company called ControlScan contacted me and said that to maintain PCI Compliance, i need to allow them to “scan my network” and tell them the WAN IP of my POS server (which processes the CC’s). My initial impression is that it was a scam. I contacted Heartland directely and, sure enough, the request from ControlScan is legit.
The only information they provide the client is that we need to allow a specific block of their IP addresses access to our network. That is all the info they give. In my case, the simple change of scan speed to “slow” somehow allowed the scan to take place and maintain PCI compliance.

Thank you again for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
antinode
Guru

If you're interested in futility rather than the kind of answer you
seek, then:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1568591

Until someone exhumes some actual information on what these "scans"
actually do/need, I see little hope of getting anywhere.

Message 2 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi Greenlaw,

Update the firmware.

https://kb.netgear.com/000058809/R7800-Firmware-Version-1-0-2-52

Message 3 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi Greenlaw,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 4 of 6
Greenlaw
Tutor

Thank you for the link and I apologize for my delay in replying to your kind and helpful suggestion. (It is refeshing compared to some other users that prefer to talkdown to people). I will update the firmware when I return to the physical location of the router, as i have been out of the state.

I actually was able to solve the issue by changing a single “speed setting” on their end of the software via their portal to “slow”. I know some other netgear users are having the same problem and would like to mention that the reason that they are not able to give as much techincal detail as some would like is because the third-party scanning company provides no information on what the scan entails and their phone support is completely clueless.

In an attempt to help other people with the issue and maybe give insight to Netgear Moderators here are the details for my particular case.

My business uses Heartland Payment Systems for our credit card merchant processing. At the begining of 2018, a company called ControlScan contacted me and said that to maintain PCI Compliance, i need to allow them to “scan my network” and tell them the WAN IP of my POS server (which processes the CC’s). My initial impression is that it was a scam. I contacted Heartland directely and, sure enough, the request from ControlScan is legit.
The only information they provide the client is that we need to allow a specific block of their IP addresses access to our network. That is all the info they give. In my case, the simple change of scan speed to “slow” somehow allowed the scan to take place and maintain PCI compliance.

Thank you again for your help.
Message 5 of 6
antinode
Guru

> [...] (It is refeshing compared to some other users that prefer to
> talkdown to people). [...]

What's your gripe?  You asked how to "Whitelist a block of external
IP Addresses", which is not a possibility on your router, whatever it
means, and which was demonstrably not necessary.  If asking for a
coherent specification of the actual requirements is "talking down to
people", then I'll plead guilty.

> I actually was able to solve the issue by changing a single "speed
> setting" on their end of the software via their portal to "slow". [...]

So, the "whitelist" "requirement" was spurious, and it seems likely
that this (mysterious) "speed setting" isn't really a speed setting.
Whose fault is it that your vendor can't/won't supply any accurate and
useful information?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7